Fishing season for 2017

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice fish! Hey buddy teach me something please. Are those the same as what they call Togue back east? Lake trout? but technically a char like a brookie trout?
Thanks! And yes they're the same. Lake Char, Lake Trout, Gray Trout, Togue, Mackinaw are all common names for them. Same family as Trout (Salmonidae) but in the Char genus (Salvelinus). Species is S. namaycush.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Why are they all missing their adipose? Are they from hatchery stock?
Yessir. Erie's Lakers are all stocked fish. Feds stock them as fingerlings in an attempt to restore them as a native species but so far they haven't detected any natural reproduction since the early 1900's.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
That French creek is really something!! I read somewhere that 62% of the species of fish in PA are found in the french creek watershed. That's pretty amazing!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
That French creek is really something!! I read somewhere that 62% of the species of fish in PA are found in the french creek watershed. That's pretty amazing!
Yessir, 80 some species of fish in French Creek alone. This spot has Bowfin, Pike, Grass Pickerel, Bullheads, LMBs, Lepomids, and Central Mudminnows primarily, and it's not even on the main river.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store