Five spiny eels, 2 tiretrack and 3 black spot, 2'+ in 240 gal

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
We have had them for 2.5 years now. They came from Petzone in San Diego mail order the summer of 2015 at about 1' ($25 each) and from Sam aka fishonlinerus, who sold them as TT but they came in as black spot. I prefer TT over black spot but didn't bother trying to do something about it. These five have been doing very well. Only one black spot is stuck at around 1.5'. The other 4 appear to exceed 2'. They love their Ziegler pellets, not too fond of cut thawed fish.

Seem to be mostly peaceful with each other. There is an occasional commotion and boulder rocking and moving but it's hard to tell what's happening in between and behind all these boulders on the bottom, plus there are 5 Amur catfish in there too that have eel-like bodies. In any case, the eels don't appear to bear any fight wounds as far as I have been able to observe. One TT has some white uneven areas around the edges of its tail but it has always had them. IDK what to make of it. Also TT's are so dark, that the patterns is almost invisible, to our regret.

Had one more black spot that died unexpectedly about a year ago for an unknown to me reason at ~2'.

Also there were several fire eels, probably 3-4 over time but these were very hard to feed and even with proper feeding on lots of bloodworms and cut fish they didn't last for me - started either spinning or floating and perished. I am done with fire eels. Have tried perhaps a dozen over 10 years and never was able to keep one long term.

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
I can conclude two things by just looking at the image of the video:
1) That's a nice eel. Freshwater eels have something saltwater eels just can't.
2) That juruense in the background really wants some attention.
I've kept a few eels in the past. They didn't last super long but they could hide really well...its tankmates were probably too boisterous and it never got enough food:(. The good thing is: now I've got MFK to ask help from to care for a freshwater eel if I ever get back into it! Keep up the good work! And maybe dedicate a video to the juruense as well. ;)

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I can conclude two things by just looking at the image of the video:
1) That's a nice eel. Freshwater eels have something saltwater eels just can't.
2) That juruense in the background really wants some attention.
I've kept a few eels in the past. They didn't last super long but they could hide really well...its tankmates were probably too boisterous and it never got enough food:(. The good thing is: now I've got MFK to ask help from to care for a freshwater eel if I ever get back into it! Keep up the good work! And maybe dedicate a video to the juruense as well. ;)
They are fake eels of course. They only look like ones :)

The fish in the back is a tig and him and his kin enjoy their own thread already, so it's not deprived :)

My eels have been exceedingly robust feeders. I was taken by surprise how many Ziegler pellets they could put away. Actually, people usually report no feeding problems with TT and BS but fire is a different matter.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017

The fish in the back is a tig and him and his kin enjoy their own thread already, so it's not deprived :)

My eels have been exceedingly robust feeders. I was taken by surprise how many Ziegler pellets they could put away. Actually, people usually report no feeding problems with TT and BS but fire is a different matter.
Damn it is a tig! I feel dumb now!:eek:
Yeah the one on the video image looks more robust than most of the eels I've seen for sale! They don't seem like heavy eaters, but you learn something new every day...
What's different with fire eels?
P.S. nice TIG! The patterns on those are awesome:)

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States

I've actually found my fire eels to be the more aggressive eaters, my BS has gone on numerous hunger strikes and just prefers to steal the smaller fire eels worms, my TT that I got saturday still hasn't ate but I know it may take a bit till he does

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Damn it is a tig! I feel dumb now!:eek:
Yeah the one on the video image looks more robust than most of the eels I've seen for sale! They don't seem like heavy eaters, but you learn something new every day...
What's different with fire eels?
P.S. nice TIG! The patterns on those are awesome:)
My eels have been feeding well and one TT in particular looks quite chunky. The fire eels in my hands always struggle to feed but even in those few occasions where I got them to feed quite well (and they can do that just like thefredpit says) they developed problems later and perished on me. So I've never kept a fire eel longer than half a year, maybe a year at most.

I've actually found my fire eels to be the more aggressive eaters, my BS has gone on numerous hunger strikes and just prefers to steal the smaller fire eels worms, my TT that I got saturday still hasn't ate but I know it may take a bit till he does
I'd guess your BS is either an exception or is low in the pecking order. But things can vary wildly and unpredictably from tank to tank and from keeper to keeper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store