Floating plants for Florida “pond”

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I have set up a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank on my back porch for some southern South American cichlids (Cichlasoma sp.), as well as some Florida native killifish and mosquitofish. I would like to add some floating plants to give the fish some cover and help absorb nitrates.

My stock tank sits on my back porch which is covered. The porch gets indirect sunlight all day but no direct sunlight. I am looking for suggestions on floating plants that can live in indirect sunlight. I don’t necessarily need them to flower, I just don’t want them to die. They’re more for functional use than aesthetic purposes.

Any recommendations would be great. I live in a hardiness zone 8 or 9, if that matters. It’s central Florida so we very rarely get temperatures below 30F and never for extended periods. It’s mostly just hot and humid for 8 months out of the year.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like frogbit and water lettuce.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Reactions: ryansmith83

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Parrot's feather is an interesting floater. Aside from that, whatever you can introduce that's not illegal will probably thrive.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Water hyacinth and water lettuce are both considered invasive in Florida and are illegal to have, but honestly I don’t know how they can prevent you from just plucking it out of a lake. It does sound like it takes over really quickly though.

I’m more concerned with the fact that a lot of floating plants supposedly require 4 - 6 hours at least of full sunlight, but I’m going to try a few of these and just see how they do.

Thank you for the suggestions!

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Cichlasoma - in Uruguay at least - are found in places where terrestrial plants are growing in the water. I sometimes hang long plastic plants from the top down and also put upside down pots to grow terrestrial plants in their tanks. Peace Lillies would work well. Same with lots of Philodendrons. Wandering Jew is another good one. All can do well with wet feet and medium light.

I'm afraid that parrots feather probably needs more light. Worth a try as it floats but also grows vertically out of the tank / pond. I just haven't had great luck with it without a good amount of light.

Reactions: ryansmith83
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store