Floating plants for Florida “pond”

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Water Hyacinth was recently made illegal in WI too, (it doesn't survive the winter there naturally so kind of a stretch) but many people have had pit in onds for years.
I have kept in in inground ponds too, but there was never an outlet to any natural waters.
1617204674419.png
Here in Panama it is a problem, with many mats clogging parts of Lake Gutun (the Panama Canal).
4AC0438F-AE18-48F6-96E9-64B7050017F5.jpeg

Reactions: ryansmith83

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Cichlasoma - in Uruguay at least - are found in places where terrestrial plants are growing in the water. I sometimes hang long plastic plants from the top down and also put upside down pots to grow terrestrial plants in their tanks. Peace Lillies would work well. Same with lots of Philodendrons. Wandering Jew is another good one. All can do well with wet feet and medium light.

I'm afraid that parrots feather probably needs more light. Worth a try as it floats but also grows vertically out of the tank / pond. I just haven't had great luck with it without a good amount of light.
I like the idea of peace lilies. I can get some plastic planters from the hardware store and make hooks to hang them on the edge of the stock tank. From what I’ve read you can grow them with just the roots in water, no potting medium required. This will also help hide my DIY filter once the lily grows a bit of height.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store