florida gar spawning

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
hi, guys and girls so I posted recently that I managed to spawn my Florida gar here in the UK so fare iv managed to hatch out 4 fry I haven't checked the pond they were spawned in but I'm guessing there will be more in there. the ones I hatched out were in a quarantine tank I wasn't prepared for this spawning and now I know how to do it ill be better prepared next time I am making a video diary which ill post on my youtube channel once it's done if anyone is interested. couldn't find any info online for breeding these guys and raising the fry has anyone done this who can share some tips with me I'm assuming I can feed them baby brine shrimp once the eggs sacks are gone

thanks for any advice given

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'm not sure it could be goldfish or koi I'll raise it up and see once it's big enough I can stick it with the 1000 koi fry I'm currently raising
Nice, sounds like you got yourself a pretty good breeding setup already. Any specific kind of goldfish/koi ya breed? Or is it just a "let nature do its thing" kind of set up?

Reactions: tlindsey

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
I'm not sure it could be goldfish or koi I'll raise it up and see once it's big enough I can stick it with the 1000 koi fry I'm currently raising
The list of koi is endless but to name a few snake kohahku benea I also breed cobra snake heads. Gar have always been my number one favourite fish and iv been told they can't be bred here in the uk so I'm very happy that I have achieved it my next goal is to do a controlled breeding so I can have a better hatch rate

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
The list of koi is endless but to name a few snake kohahku benea I also breed cobra snake heads. Gar have always been my number one favourite fish and iv been told they can't be bred here in the uk so I'm very happy that I have achieved it my next goal is to do a controlled breeding so I can have a better hatch rate
Sounds like a fun project ya got there. Lol wish I was more well versed in koi types, maybe then I'd understand those names hahaha. I cam atleast identify some goldfish types but koi go way over my head. I only ever had 1 koi but I made the rookie mistake of adding it to the cichlid tank and well you can just as well guess how that all went. I'm just glad it was one of the cheap $20 lfs variety rather then one of the pure bred strains that cost $100s-$1000s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store