Flower Horn Monster

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I'm pretty sure the do not. Don't quote me on this though because I am nnot 100% sure.

Chad

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA

Here's my new lil' guy. Picked him up last week. He wouldn't eat anything but live at first, and the LFS had some nasty looking feeders, so he lived off of neons and cherry barbs for the first few days. He'll eat beefheart and pellets now. I can't wait for him to become a monster!

Mad Icthyologist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Illinois
Chad55 said:
Not to sound rude or anything but IMO a 16" fish should be in something like a 75 gallon. And that would bring out his colors tremendously. Oh and try shrimp and krill to bring back some of the red.

Chad
I actually have a 75 gallon but i have been trying to hold out for something even bigger however that is not looking to possible. probably come march i will set up the 75. i have actually been feeding large quantities of krill and raised the water temp to around 87 degrees and some of the red is returning but not quite like it was or like delgados specimen above. you are not rude chad and i appreciate the input, what do you mean by shrimp, like from the store or live ghost shrimp. also when as i have been feeding mostly krill and beefheart recently the fish refuses to eat the pellets when they are offered. I do run 3 filters on the tank and there is no decorations as all the fish used to do was push them all over the tank.
as for the interaction between me and the fish, i used to hold a piece of krill about 3-4 inches above the tank and the fish would jump up and grab it from my fingertips. the last time i did that however was about a year ago because one time the fish actually got a hold of my index finger with its pharyngeal teeth and held on. i had to shake him off and it was quite a shock to feel the force of the jaws. when i do water changes i have to hold a large net with one hand to keep the fish on one side of the tank and the siphon on the other and i always keep an eye on him because he always trys to get around and bite my hand, not even the syphon.
Flowerhorns are amazingly fun and enjoyable to keep even though it does require more work than average.
as for the scientific name i do not believe it has been scientifically described as it's own species but since they can and do reproduce they probably will be at some time although i could be wrong.
i was under the impression that the genetic make up of flowerhorns was C. trimaculatum, C. labiatum, C. nicaraguense, and C. synspilum.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Im talking the cocktail shrimp from the grocery store. That brings out the red. And darkening the gravel and background will darken his colors.

Chad

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
I never seen a 16 inch fh, what are the dimensions on that 40 gallon tank?

mike tok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
SPORE EAST
As much as I know abt this breed,it is a hybrid from red devil and parrot fish.Abt 5-6 yrs ago,a group of malaysian from penang decided to come together to breed a new species of fishes.Thus they brought from taiwan the giant parrot fish and cross breed with the red devil.They managed to produce the flower horn and created a big bang on the market since then.As this breed is not a original gene of itself,the quailty of the offspring is not very stable and infact a large nos. of breeder had stop breeding it as the shape and colour is very difficult to maintain.1 out off 200 may have the big head and nice colour.There isnt a lot of flower horn found in the market now but I know of a few shop in Pasi Ris is selling good quality fish with a more reasonable price.

Mad Icthyologist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Illinois
the tank is 36 inches by 18 inches and around 15-16 inches tall. as soon as i can i will post a picture. the fish is very large and aggressive but as i noted i am still trying to get his colors to come back. thank you chad55 for the tip i am going to get some shrimp tomorrow and see what the effect is on his color. i have been also recently giving him large nightcrawlers 3 or 4 at a pop. i haven't really been buying a lot of feeders but he has eaten over a dozen goldfish at one time in the past. his nuchal hump is slightly above average but nothing like the ones that neko has posted on other threads in this forum. he does have quite a few teeth on both the top and bottom of his jaws some are surprisingly large. his fins are very long and flowing which i find attractive.

i do have another question for everybody at times the fish gets these white growths on his fins. they seem to look like zits. i have in the past pulled them off with my fingers and tweezers. the growths are not fungus and the behavior of the fish did not exhibit any behavior changes. the water is good quality with no nitrates, nitrite, or ammonia. i was thinking that these growths may be caused by some dietary problem, they just seem to show up every so often and then disappear. i would like to know if anyone else has seen anything like this and any opinions as to what it may be.

kissme_419

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
Flint, Michigan
I love flower horn's. When i first got into the aquarium trade I went to one of our LFS and saw a flower horn that was being medicated in one of there tanks. When a friend of mine put his finger on the lid of the tank the flower hhorn pushed the lid open about an inch and a half. And when i saw that i was hooked. I LOVE MONSTER'S!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store