Flowerhorn female's first litter! Unfortunately, eggs might not have made it.

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
Ahh ok, yeah was about to mention that lol. Usually I made certain the filter and breeding spots were on opposite sides of the tank so I could leave the filter on without sucking up the sperm into it.

I also allowed the parents to take care of their eggs too so not sure if that play any part in the whole cycle or not.
I'd prefer to allow parents to take care of the eggs but my dad wanted us to try see if the male was fertile first before allowing them. I saw the sperm from the male go onto the eggs. Is he fertile? I have no idea. Perhaps the excessive amount of fungus resulted in this, I'm not too sure. All the eggs are almost white now. About 100 are still translucent. I'll check up tomorrow again. I've got a full-masked Kamfa female I can breed with my SRD if it doesn't go according to plan. Should I rest him for a bit though? He's probably exhausted.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'd prefer to allow parents to take care of the eggs but my dad wanted us to try see if the male was fertile first before allowing them. I saw the sperm from the male go onto the eggs. Is he fertile? I have no idea. Perhaps the excessive amount of fungus resulted in this, I'm not too sure. All the eggs are almost white now. About 100 are still translucent. I'll check up tomorrow again. I've got a full-masked Kamfa female I can breed with my SRD if it doesn't go according to plan. Should I rest him for a bit though? He's probably exhausted.
Nah the male barely puts any effort into the whole process. It's the female that'll need a good 2-3 week break before trying again. Just remember, males can produce infinite sperm their whole life while females can only produce a finite amount of eggs through out their life.

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
Nah the male barely puts any effort into the whole process. It's the female that'll need a good 2-3 week break before trying again. Just remember, males can produce infinite sperm their whole life while females can only produce a finite amount of eggs through out their life.
Ahh, okay. I’ve got a nice full masked female Kamfa that should lay in a couple weeks. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes. The chances of getting a huge Flowerhorn hump from a small headed Flowerhorn is still a possibility right? Just curious because I want to try get a bigger hump out of my male fish.

Ah, also my female Kamfa has her fins locked. She eats, is super shy but the water quality is fine. Ph of 7, ammonia nitrite and nitrate at 0PPM as I just did a water change for all 8 tanks

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Ahh, okay. I’ve got a nice full masked female Kamfa that should lay in a couple weeks. I’ll keep you updated on how it goes. The chances of getting a huge Flowerhorn hump from a small headed Flowerhorn is still a possibility right? Just curious because I want to try get a bigger hump out of my male fish.

Ah, also my female Kamfa has her fins locked. She eats, is super shy but the water quality is fine. Ph of 7, ammonia nitrite and nitrate at 0PPM as I just did a water change for all 8 tanks
It's possible but highly unlikely. Personally I wouldn't focus on kok growth as a big kok will start to cause problems when it comes to feeding and swimming. My original breeder male here "Jr" had a kok that was just too big. He had problems swimming and eating, along with constant self injury. His daughter here "Big Bertha" also has a massive kok but, only for a female, otherwise if she was a male it would be perfect size imo. She has no problems eating or swimming and rarely injures herself unless startled. Here's a couple pics of the father and daughter to show what I mean, the male is the better looking one when it comes to color.

cameringo_20200321_062324.jpg

IMG_20181006_050653803.jpg

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
It's possible but highly unlikely. Personally I wouldn't focus on kok growth as a big kok will start to cause problems when it comes to feeding and swimming. My original breeder male here "Jr" had a kok that was just too big. He had problems swimming and eating, along with constant self injury. His daughter here "Big Bertha" also has a massive kok but, only for a female, otherwise if she was a male it would be perfect size imo. She has no problems eating or swimming and rarely injures herself unless startled. Here's a couple pics of the father and daughter to show what I mean, the male is the better looking one when it comes to color.

View attachment 1432046

View attachment 1432047
Came back on after a while, he's a real beauty. My male's Hump is about that size. Thought it'd be better if it were to be bigger. Females tube just dropped again this morning, was coming on to update my post so I can keep track on how I go but didn't see this reply! He's awesome. Honestly. :)) She hasn't cleaned the pot though, just agressive, but her tubes dropped. I'll see tonight how it goes.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Came back on after a while, he's a real beauty. My male's Hump is about that size. Thought it'd be better if it were to be bigger. Females tube just dropped again this morning, was coming on to update my post so I can keep track on how I go but didn't see this reply! He's awesome. Honestly. :)) She hasn't cleaned the pot though, just agressive, but her tubes dropped. I'll see tonight how it goes.
With my male he had allot of problems when it came to swimming, eating and self harm. He may have been a beautiful fish but I wish that his kok would've been smaller. Personally I would rather have the fish be happy and healthy rather then struggle with everyday life. Also when it comes down to breeding I would rather focus on color and pearls rather then kok size.

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
With my male he had allot of problems when it came to swimming, eating and self harm. He may have been a beautiful fish but I wish that his kok would've been smaller. Personally I would rather have the fish be happy and healthy rather then struggle with everyday life. Also when it comes down to breeding I would rather focus on color and pearls rather then kok size.
Ah yeah, my female fish had a nice flower line and full red colour hoping one of the fry will be like that. If you’re on are we able to have our female lay eggs and then leave it until tomorrow morning to pair with the male? She’s laying w crap ton of eggs and took 3 hours last time. I don’t want to wait until 5 I get all sick the next morning. Dad is awake now but told me to sleep but I’m worried

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Ah yeah, my female fish had a nice flower line and full red colour hoping one of the fry will be like that. If you’re on are we able to have our female lay eggs and then leave it until tomorrow morning to pair with the male? She’s laying w crap ton of eggs and took 3 hours last time. I don’t want to wait until 5 I get all sick the next morning. Dad is awake now but told me to sleep but I’m worried
You can leave the eggs with the parents but just know that there is a risk of them eating the eggs. It took my original pair 4 tries before they finally had their first and only batch of fry, before the male past away. The first time the female ate the eggs and the other 2 were because the male didn't fertilize them. 4th time they finally got it right and 2 years later I still have 2 of their daughters. You've seen the biggest daughter so i'll show ya a pic of the smallest daughter. Her name is Star btw lol you can guess why.

cameringo_20200730_215538.jpg

cameringo_20200730_215113.jpg

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020
You can leave the eggs with the parents but just know that there is a risk of them eating the eggs. It took my original pair 4 tries before they finally had their first and only batch of fry, before the male past away. The first time the female ate the eggs and the other 2 were because the male didn't fertilize them. 4th time they finally got it right and 2 years later I still have 2 of their daughters. You've seen the biggest daughter so i'll show ya a pic of the smallest daughter. Her name is Star btw lol you can guess why.

View attachment 1434201

View attachment 1434202
Oooh, they're gorgeous. Took the eggs out after 7 hours when the male was with the eggs. She spawned a drastically higher amount of eggs in comparison to last time. 3 weeks since she last laid, I am currently artifically fanning the eggs right now. Not too sure when life will show up, hoping soon.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

IckyIcky

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2020

View attachment 1434201

View attachment 1434202
Hm, do you think my flowerhorn fertilised the eggs at all as well last time? No sign of life yet, I see balck dots but I'm almost certain it's just debris stuck on it, as it's not inside the egg but outside.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store