Flowerhorn food

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I add a dry powder formula to my tank, so personally no real need for me to feed it as well.

My advice, feed the formula that you are feeding, and add AlgaeMax to the mix.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I add a dry powder formula to my tank, so personally no real need for me to feed it as well.

My advice, feed the formula that you are feeding, and add AlgaeMax to the mix.
Thanks, that was a great post. I am feeding hikari algae pallets as I already had them for pleco, snails etc. I will order AlgaeMax as soon as I finish it.

slyme

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2018
Indonesia
Funny thing, flowerhorn eats the algae pallet but pleco doesn't. Pleco only eats NLS ultra red.
Have you tryin use garlic (nip it on garlic juice) i learn it when i keepin saltwater fish. IMO fish will ate it when they hungry (if they dont sick it will be okay)

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Have you tryin use garlic (nip it on garlic juice) i learn it when i keepin saltwater fish. IMO fish will ate it when they hungry (if they dont sick it will be okay)
Thanks, Hikari algae wafer has garlic in it. I don't care much about pleco anyway, planning to get rid of him (give it back to the shop).

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The person that messaged you that is ignorant, and has no clue. There are many more FH hobbyists out there just like that person, so get used to it. lol Your fish is fine on the Ultra Red, 38% is minimum, actual protein content would be approx. 40%, which is plenty of protein for a fish your size. Also, it's not just a % based on crude protein content that is important, it's the amino acid content of that protein that is most important.

And nuchal hump size is based mostly on genetics, and gonadal swings as the male fish matures, not diet.
47% minimum crude protein, which means the average analysis would be 50%, perhaps even higher in some batches. IMO that is too high for long term feeding of FH, especially adults.
I am still learning about food and trying to understand numbers here. Above at what percentage protein is too much protein for flowerhorns? I assume it also depends on size fry, juvenile and adult.

I understand for growth complete nutrition is the key and availability of required amino acids is more important than total protein percentage. I am trying to understand minimum and maximum number.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Suddenly everyone is interested in fish food talk on Facebook. People who can not form a sentence or spell are "maturely" telling me how ignorant I am about food because I feed NLS and haven't tried things I argue over.

Arguments like fish like 60% protein is not too high till it has right amount of fat and fiber, he has tested food on 60 species and found it not harmful in anyway, NLS is crap, midas store protein in kok are being made. Good thing I am prepared using RD.'s posts. Never heard about any type of animal able to store protein though, tissue, muscle, fat sure but never protein.

Everyone is selling the food on there. It's hard to get truth out when their paycheck depends on lies.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Suddenly everyone is interested in fish food talk on Facebook. People who can not form a sentence or spell are "maturely" telling me how ignorant I am about food because I feed NLS and haven't tried things I argue over.

Arguments like fish like 60% protein is not too high till it has right amount of fat and fiber, he has tested food on 60 species and found it not harmful in anyway, NLS is crap, midas store protein in kok are being made. Good thing I am prepared using RD.'s posts. Never heard about any type of animal able to store protein though, tissue, muscle, fat sure but never protein.

Everyone is selling the food on there. It's hard to get truth out when their paycheck depends on lies.
It has been that way for years. Glad you see through it.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store