Flowerhorn food.

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
I’ve always fed NLS to all my fish but recently came across some info on flowerhorn color enhancing food.

Does this stuff really work and are there any quality ones out there?

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
NLS is one of the very best foods period. I don't use it anymore but have considered going back to it. STAY AWAY FROM THE FLOWERHORN SPECIALTY FOODS!! There are so many that will literally make your fish sick. I lost a beautiful KK several years back. It was the only one fish I was feeding Okiko Platinum to. The fish shedded her stomach lining for weeks and then stopped eating. No live foods had ever been given. The food wrecked her stomach. The other 4 flowerhorns I had were eating different pellets and they were all fine.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I’ve always fed NLS to all my fish but recently came across some info on flowerhorn color enhancing food.

Does this stuff really work and are there any quality ones out there?
NLS foods have enough color enhancers. If you still want more then to focus on red feed ultra red, to improve pearls feed some algaemax (10-20% of diet). If you want to try another brand, get northfin krill pro as a supplement.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
NLS foods have enough color enhancers. If you still want more then to focus on red feed ultra red, to improve pearls feed some algaemax (10-20% of diet). If you want to try another brand, get northfin krill pro as a supplement.
For clarification UltraRed and AlgaeMax are NLS pellets.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Beardedglitcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2021
Jersey
NLS is one of the very best foods period. I don't use it anymore but have considered going back to it. STAY AWAY FROM THE FLOWERHORN SPECIALTY FOODS!! There are so many that will literally make your fish sick. I lost a beautiful KK several years back. It was the only one fish I was feeding Okiko Platinum to. The fish shedded her stomach lining for weeks and then stopped eating. No live foods had ever been given. The food wrecked her stomach. The other 4 flowerhorns I had were eating different pellets and they were all fine.
Sorry for reopening this discussion but I am new to flowerhorns I just got a male I’m guessing about seven months old and have been feeding him cichlid bio gold mixing in some freeze dried crickets bloodworms and brine shrimp cubes he has reacted tremendously well in a few days lots of color and kok size, I ordered some of the “specialty foods” for him ocean free stuff is in the mail and I have been adding this hai feng fast color for the past two days The plan was to mix up all the above trying to balance the diet and also feed to my large cichlids in my other tank should I not use these foods ? cause I have a **** load of it now lol

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Sorry for reopening this discussion but I am new to flowerhorns I just got a male I’m guessing about seven months old and have been feeding him cichlid bio gold mixing in some freeze dried crickets bloodworms and brine shrimp cubes he has reacted tremendously well in a few days lots of color and kok size, I ordered some of the “specialty foods” for him ocean free stuff is in the mail and I have been adding this hai feng fast color for the past two days The plan was to mix up all the above trying to balance the diet and also feed to my large cichlids in my other tank should I not use these foods ? cause I have a **** load of it now lol
Definitely don't use them. Just consider it as if you got scammed and trash the food. Hikari Cichlid Bio-gold is great though. You don't have to really feed a huge variety of pellets. One good quality staple will do just fine although if you wanted to add more NLS and Northfin are good to add onto the Hikari. Pellets should be the bulk of their diet. Any food other than pellets should be considered a treat and not to be fed more than 1-2 times a week.

Beardedglitcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2021
Jersey
Definitely don't use them. Just consider it as if you got scammed and trash the food. Hikari Cichlid Bio-gold is great though. You don't have to really feed a huge variety of pellets. One good quality staple will do just fine although if you wanted to add more NLS and Northfin are good to add onto the Hikari. Pellets should be the bulk of their diet. Any food other than pellets should be considered a treat and not to be fed more than 1-2 times a week.
Copy .thanks for the advise . that sucks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store