Flowerhorn hit head again

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
About a week ago, my flowerhorn hit his head against the side of the tank, and it was mostly healed up, but today he hit his head again, and there is kind of a white mark where he hit it. Why do you think he keeps hitting his head? Will he be OK?

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
I've noticed that mine keeps scratching his kok on the filter output when he goes to grab food. All I've done is add a little bit of melafix to the tank and kept an eye on it. He heals up incredibly fast. He should be fine. If you notice he's hitting his head when he's eating you can drop the water level a bit. That should help. If he's hitting it on decorations or anything I would take them out.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
There currently aren't any decorations, it's a bare bottom tank, but I'm planning on adding some sand along with a terra cotta pot for him to hide in.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
His head hasn't healed up yet, I can still see the spot where he hit it. It almost looks like a there is a slight indentation where he hit it, but I think it's starting to heal up. I haven't added the sand yet.

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
His head hasn't healed up yet, I can still see the spot where he hit it. It almost looks like a there is a slight indentation where he hit it, but I think it's starting to heal up. I haven't added the sand yet.
Give it some time. As long as no secondary infection sets in it should be totally fine. I'd wait until it heals though to add sand just in case.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I'm not totally sure if there is a secondary infection or not, but I don't think there is, but his head looks lighter around the area he hit.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
There are two sponge filters in the tank that he goes under to hide, and I was thinking that he might be scraping his head when he goes under them, so I did a water change, and added the sand and terra cotta pot.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
His head is prob just bruised. Add some Aquarium salt to help keep things clean. If he there is no open wound he's prob alright. If there is a wound I would treat right away they HITH and bacteria disease in head pretty easy. Bare bottom is best for FH a pot would be good if you had breeding pair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store