Flowerhorn hit head again

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I think the Black Diamond sand looks much better in the tank than when it was bare bottom. I was worried that he might have HITH, so I asked in this thread, but I think he's fine.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
I think the Black Diamond sand looks much better in the tank than when it was bare bottom. I was worried that he might have HITH, so I asked in this thread, but I think he's fine.
My flowerhorn always just piled all the gravel in one corner making it look funny and he is way too aggressive for sand as he would just stir it all up and clog filters all the time. I had a piece of drift wood that injured my FH and now it's just bare bottom. Not only for safety but cleanliness also. IDK how big your fish is but when he gets larger he will just destroy everything, even himself if you let him. FH is most aggressive fish I ever seen next to the Dovii.

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
My SRD Flowerhorn. 2.5 years old 9-10 inches. You can see where just put a tinny bit of large gravel in for something for him to play with. He scoops it up with his mouth carry's it to top and spits it out. He also takes that one little plant and pushes it all over the tank. IMG_20170216_203515430.jpg IMG_20170216_203238555.jpg

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
My flowerhorn is a short body, and he is only about 3 inches long. I've had him since November. He's really shy, I have never seen him acting aggressive.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
It kind of looks like he scraped his head again, I think he might just be rubbing it when he goes under the sponge filter. I tried to bury the base of the sponge filter in the sand, hopefully that will help. I just hope that his head doesn't scar. I don't think it will, but I'm just a little worried.

Last edited:

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
It kind of looks like he scraped his head again, I think he might just be rubbing it when he goes under the sponge filter. I tried to bury the base of the sponge filter in the sand, hopefully that will help. I just hope that his head doesn't scar. I don't think it will, but I'm just a little worried.
Where is the water level at in your tank? I'm wondering if when he goes to eat he hits his kok on the rim of the tank or on a cover.

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
hmmm. Strange. I guess I could only suggest to really watch him for a while to maybe figure out when he's doing it. I wouldn't worry too much about scarring. One of my guys gashed his head pretty deep and I had to cut off a flap of skin. He healed up totally fine, color and all.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
It almost looks worse than it did yesterday, I hope it isn't infected. He hasn't been going under that sponge filter since I buried the base in sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store