Flowerhorn looks ill

Flower07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
It has been a month since I brought home a baby flowerhorn. It was doing just fine and active. In the recent three days, it was hiding behind the filters and hitting itself on the tank mirrors. I have seen it playing with the tiny stones and follow my finger before. What it is doing now isn't how it usually plays. I got worried and took it to the nearby pet clinic. They said we overfed it and gave some liquid to be poured into the tank. I did that today and it's been further more sick. It turned black and laid on the rock as if it's having a seizure. I wanna cry because I didn't get this fellow to watch him die.

I've recorded a video of it suffering. I can upload to YouTube. Can some take a look and tell what is wrong? The pet clinic guy told me they will be closed for next two days. I don't now of a place near my home to treat this fish. I am so lost. Can someone help my baby fish?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Is the tank cycled? maybe try a big water change. If you post your amonia/nitrite/nitrate numbers it would help. If you include a link to the video people can see it. Things like this happen to everyone, sometimes you can get them through it, and sometimes you can't. Either way it is a learning experience. It really hurts watching your fish suffer, I have done it a few times, and didn't like it. :( Best of luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: Flower07

Flower07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Thank you for the reply.

Here is the link for how it's laid on the little pebbles and struggling to breath.
Looks like I can't post or embed videos. Please put this code TLMtZa2g6Ww after YouTube's domain name. The one that's ending with be extension.

I don't have any of the devices to measure water amonia levels. I don't have water conditioner. I'm actually reading these terminologies from this forum just now.... That too only after seeing my baby fish struggle. Please suggest me what all I should buy. I'll do it in next 3-4 hours and do all I can to make the baby feel better.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
first of all is this a new aquarium? if so you probably need to read up on the nitrogen cycle ASAP. Also how are you doing water changes? you should also be using a water conditioner on each water change. Seachem prime is one of the best products to use.

Flower07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Yes it is my first fish tank. I'll Google about Nitrogen cycle. Thank you!

I'll search Amazon India for the seachem water conditioner and also check in local shops if they have it.

I change water once every week. As it was sick, I changed it today. It's spitting some black thread or precipitate like substances. I put the fish in a spare tank. Take all water out of the tank, clean sides of the tank glass with a wiper and fill distilled water again. Then, put the baby back in. I use net to transfer it between tanks and don't touch it in case they could cause infections.

Please suggest some device to measure water ammonia level or whatever I need to be measuring.

Anything else I should be doing?

Last edited:

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I change water once every week. As it was sick, I changed it today. It's spitting some black thread or precipitate like substances. I put the fish in a spare tank. Take all water out of the tank, clean sides of the tank glass with a wiper and fill distilled water again. Then, put the baby back in. I use net to transfer it between tanks and don't touch it in case they could cause infections.
That is a little extreme. It is probably better to leave a little water and the fish in the tank. If you don't have any way of testing the water, just keep changing it! maybe once a day or every other day. If you have a friend with a freshwater fishtank, ask them to give you some sand/pebbles/filter media to put in your tank to try and speed up the cycle.

Flower07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Thank you so much! I'll do everything you said. So, I'll have to change the water by leaving it in the tank with some water in it.

Next, I need to buy Seachem water conditioner and pour it in the water after I change. This will help the fish cure right? It's still laid on the pebbles and suffocating.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Clean water, good filtration and aeration, and unless your fish has some bug, it should be enough to help it on is way to recovery.

Flower07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Thank you for all the support! I feel better hearing it'll soon be on its way to recovery. Really appreciate it.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
When using conditioner make sure to first drain the tank of old water, then add conditioner to the tank, then add new water. In that order. If your tank is 100 gals you should add enough conditioner so that it treats the full tank volume and not just the amount you changed.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store