MFK Member
Feb 27, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi all, i am a new member as i am also a new owner of a 3.5 inch Flowerhorn. I have had him a week now, he is currently in a 30 gallon aquarium with an internal fluval U3 filter. Aquarium was cycled before he arrived and filter was at least 9 months old so there was barely any cycle. Ammonia and Nitrate 0, Temp 26 degrees. Tank has bog wood and one long-stem plant in. I am planning the next tank upgrade now and plan to change his tank size twice in his life time.

He is by far the most personable fish i have ever had, and he is truly stunning. He seems in great condition visibly save his poo which i fear may be a sign of hex- i have never seen a fish with this before. Also is his anus protruding slightly or is this a male part? I have read the article about epson salts

20230227_170454.jpg

20230227_170244.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Has the fish been eating? What have you been feeding?
The white poop can be a concern, but there are factors other than internal parasites that can cause it.

Kateratat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2023
Hi Deadeye thanks for your reply, I feed 4-6 pellets throughout the day, i continued with what the shop was vitalis cichlid pellets (4mm) they are 38% protein and are a dark brown iah colour. He eats happily, sometimes if he has a couple of pellets he wants a break but happily mooches the tank sand sifting looking for food and is interested as soon as we are nearby and feeds from hand happily. He seems healthy and well. Apologies for photo quality but his colours are vibrant and he is overall really bright. Should i consider epsom salt feeds regardless. I have done no prophylactic treatments whatsoever

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Parasites are possible - I have no experience with feeding Epsom salts. There are a number of internal parasites, and that could dictate the proper treatment.
At the end of the post it gives the process for dosing Epsom (magnesium sulfate).

Reactions: RD. and tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It doesn’t look right to me.
There is either a large buildup of mucus or an internal issue.
Is this the only time you’ve seen poop like this? It might be worth waiting if it happens again or not (though I’d still treat prophylactically as a precaution).

Kateratat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2023
You can try deworming with praziquantel…Hikari Prazipro or Hikari General Cure.

The tube on the fish looks to be the papilla
Thank you. Starting the epsom salts today as he is still happily feeding and will consider this if in a week thr poop is not looking more normal

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all, i am a new member as i am also a new owner of a 3.5 inch Flowerhorn. I have had him a week now, he is currently in a 30 gallon aquarium with an internal fluval U3 filter. Aquarium was cycled before he arrived and filter was at least 9 months old so there was barely any cycle. Ammonia and Nitrate 0, Temp 26 degrees. Tank has bog wood and one long-stem plant in. I am planning the next tank upgrade now and plan to change his tank size twice in his life time.

He is by far the most personable fish i have ever had, and he is truly stunning. He seems in great condition visibly save his poo which i fear may be a sign of hex- i have never seen a fish with this before. Also is his anus protruding slightly or is this a male part? I have read the article about epson salts

View attachment 1513849

View attachment 1513850
Welcome aboard!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store