Flowerhorn poop

Kateratat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2023
Three salted pellets and he passes this within an hour- the bottom section looks to have bloody mucus around it but is darker in colour- anyone seen this before? Still bright happy guy

20230228_142633.jpg

Kateratat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2023
Hello again all, so i co tinued the epsom salt food until 48 hours ago, poos seemed to get darker but still with some mucus and definitely a white sheath and sometimes just white stringy poo but he was munching readily and putting on size (now definitely over 4 inches)

2 days ago he started to get a bit shy and kess likeky to hand feed. Belly does not look bloated but yesterday definitely more reluctant to eat (he is on 8 pellets a day) and then today he has refused anything so far (spat out) Still looks well no marks anywhere. Spending s lot of time staring at himself in the top reflection of tank. Onky other thing to note is i fed him around 10 small pond snaols 4 days ago from my other tank- these have been breeding for at least 18 months in a healthy nano system so i presumed disease free and a nice treat for him. Should i move on to a general water treatment now? Worried he is about to nose dive and im annoyed the shop who had had him 6 weeks prior to me hadnt done any of this and annoyed i did not ask the right questions and look at his poo!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
When is the last time you did a water change? Have you checked water params?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
IME with flowerhorn, typically this is the early sign of spironucleus vortens aka hexamita. If the epsom salt treatment didn't work after several days of feeding, you may need to consider something stronger medication wise, that you can source online or locally.

Reactions: Deadeye

Kateratat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2023
Water prams were spot on. Could not get my hands on metronizadole so doing a flubendazole treatment today. Also ourxhased live brine shrimp amd frozen blood worms- scoffs these happily but not the pellets still? Is he being fussy?

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store