Flowerhorn poops changes???

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Typically you would want a 35-40% protein for adults and 40-50%for young or juvenile. Those would be max. High veg mix. You would be better feeding a High veg mostly and a backup meat pellet. Stay away from foods high in animal proteins. The fish that make up the flowerhorn are mostly herbivorous and eating insects and small crustations when available.
So what should you look for as ingredients things like veg foods high in algaes and other veg like kale and other leafy greens. Mixed foods with things like veg and salmon or krill. Insect based foods with veg. Spirulina is always a good thing to see in the list of ingredients.
Thanks for the help friend!

Reactions: twentyleagues

Speak123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
I cant see the 1st one but the other 2 look good to me. Does that brand offer a high veg blend? Also looks like the two I can read are very simular in ingredients may be able to drop one of them for a higher veg blend.
Makes sense I’m looking up some high veg blends now so you don’t think it’s parasites I’ll try and snap a pic of his poop when I get back home

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Makes sense I’m looking up some high veg blends now so you don’t think it’s parasites I’ll try and snap a pic of his poop when I get back home
I'm not super good with that. I have about the same outlook as kno4te kno4te . Look for other obvious signs indicating parasite. But yeah deffinately post some pics may be quite obvious to some. Post pics of the fish and poop and enclosure also. What about water parameters?

Speak123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
I'm not super good with that. I have about the same outlook as kno4te kno4te . Look for other obvious signs indicating parasite. But yeah deffinately post some pics may be quite obvious to some. Post pics of the fish and poop and enclosure also. What about water parameters?
All my test come back normal I’m using a api water testing kit he is in a 75 gallon temp is kept at 85 degrees

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Perhaps someone could move this to the hybrid section?

85F is too warm, over the next few days I would dial the temp down to 80F max. Forget most of what you have read or heard about keeping FH, most of it is based on hobbyist hyperbole. Also, FH specialty foods are costly, and most come in at too high of % of crude protein. Any high quality cichlid pellet will get the job done, the rest is largely based on genetics and water quality. It looks like you have already dropped a dime on a lot of food, so just feed sparingly, do not overfeed. If it was me I would add NLS AlgaeMax a few times a week to help keep the gastrointestinal system in check.

You might want to read the following as well.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/treating-hexamita-aka-spironucleus.339362/

Nice looking faders.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If your fishes waste starts looking like the waste in the pic below, you need to act quickly. Again, see link above.

upload_2018-12-15_10-57-15.png

Reactions: twentyleagues

Speak123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Perhaps someone could move this to the hybrid section?

85F is too warm, over the next few days I would dial the temp down to 80F max. Forget most of what you have read or heard about keeping FH, most of it is based on hobbyist hyperbole. Also, FH specialty foods are costly, and most come in at too high of % of crude protein. Any high quality cichlid pellet will get the job done, the rest is largely based on genetics and water quality. It looks like you have already dropped a dime on a lot of food, so just feed sparingly, do not overfeed. If it was me I would add NLS AlgaeMax a few times a week to help keep the gastrointestinal system in check.

Nice looking faders.
I’m glad someone can come out and tell me the truth lol thank you so much what should my temp be about? The food lol I got most of it for free Facebook pages do these free raffles I got three bags of flowerhorn food for free and thank you buddy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store