Flowerhorn tank params

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
So I currently have Seachem equilibrium and replenish to keep GH up. Seems like there is American Cichlid Salt, which is targeted towards cichlids. Might try that out as well.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Last week I added crushed coral, about a cup in filter and equllibrium
Todays test results
pH 7.4
KH 3 degree/53.7 ppm
GH 5 degree/89.5 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate <20 ppm

The pH from tap is around 7. Not sure if I should be manupilating it. Should I remove crushed coral. GH still seems low, more equllibirum? Last time I added 2 table spoon of equilibrium, that should have raised GH by 2.8 degree.

Flowerhorn Supply

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
I would just use what you have. If you raise your GH, KH, PH you will have to match them when doing water changes which can be difficult.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Picking up RD. RD. 's post from old thread.
From a previous discussion in this section ........

A lot of people confuse pH with alkalinity. They are not the same thing.For most people there is no need to worry about pH values, unless their KH is low. For those people adding crushed oyster shell (as filter media) is FAR more effective in raising the alkalinity than simply tossing crushed coral in the bottom of your tank.

It is alkalinity that one wants to raise, not necessarily the pH.
As an example, the pH in Lake Malawi is in the pH range of 7.8-8.0, yet the water is borderline soft.

Freshwater fish kept in hard water (>250 mg/l alkalinity) will spend less metabolic energy on osmoregulation than fish kept in soft water (< 100 mg/l alkalinity) - thus providing more metabolic energy for growth.

That is the part of the equation that most FH keepers fail to realize, it isn't the pH that can have an effect on the growth of their fish, it's the alkalinity.

If one already has hard water, with high alkalinity, then there is simply no reason to be increasing the pH.

Go to a feed mill & buy a bag of crushed oyster shells (more effective than crushed coral, and far cheaper) and place a media bag full in your filter/s. A 25lb bag can be had for $10-15, and should last you for years. Just make sure to rinse the media bag REALLY well before adding to your filter system. Crushed oyster shells will maintain a pH of approx. 8.2. Replace with new shells as required.
Wouldn't this cause pH fluctuation? As the pH will go up over time as oyster shells mix and drop on water change?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Removed crushed coral some days ago.

Did water change yesterday, added some replenish to increase GH by 6 degree. Added stability and stress guard. Fed bloodworms to FH, he wasn't eating NLS pallets, he would eat it then spit it. But decided to eat those later. Behavior is timid with light on.

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
GH 11 degree
KH 2 degree

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
The crushed corral will also help raise your PH. 7.0 is low for a flowerhorn. Between 7.3-7.6 is a better range in my experience. Just dont do filling your tank or filter with crushed corral because it will send your ph way to high. I use 8-10 cups of crushed corral in the filers on my 180 gallon and it holds the PH around 7.6, when my tap water is 7.0
Wouldn't this cause pH fluctuation? As the pH will go up over time because of crushed corral and drop on water change?

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
Not if you are doing small frequent water changes. Your tank parameters, from post #16, appear to be in good order. But be careful about adding corral and then removing it. That can cause swings in your PH that can stress your fish horribly. Based on where you live ,and if you have city or well water, are the first main factors on what if anything needs to be done to adjust the chemistry of your water.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Not if you are doing small frequent water changes. Your tank parameters, from post #16, appear to be in good order. But be careful about adding corral and then removing it. That can cause swings in your PH that can stress your fish horribly. Based on where you live ,and if you have city or well water, are the first main factors on what if anything needs to be done to adjust the chemistry of your water.
I have been doing 50% weekly. I live in Raleigh and I have city water.

My concern is from RD. RD. 's comment about importance of KH for fish's osmoregulation. Second concern is pH crashing. In my other tank pH use to drop below 6 over time because of low KH until I added some crushed corals in it. Since this is a new tank it I think it hasn't happened yet but this is bound to happen.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I really hate telling people what will work, or not, in their tanks. IMHO flowerhorn do best in water that has some decent mineral content, and higher pH value, such as 7.5 pH, or higher. Mine were all raised over the years in pH 8.0, with hard water, with high alkalinity. As Man-made Monsters Man-made Monsters stated, with your tap water parameters you may be required to perform smaller, more frequent water changes, compared to someone like myself, who can do a 90% water change, as my tank water parameters will remain stable between water changes, hence no sudden shifts or shock to the fish.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store