Flowerhorn white/clear poop week three

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
OK. Will do. I'm feeding him every other day as well.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
I hope he gets well soon

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
How is your FH now Zeropilot.....?
Can I pick your brains ? You and Neo......I have a Tilapia Mariae in a 60 gal by himself....I have had him 11 years he was my first fish.....around 2 years ago he developed small holes around the eye a head area so I doubled my wc regimine and they didn't go away but didn't get worse, he has been eating perfect behaving normally ever since....until around 5 weeks ago he stopped eating, my first reaction once it went past the week mark was to add Epsom to the water in case he was simply constipated..sure enough he produced a normal looking poo...but still refused to eat...another week on I started a course of Octozin(I am in the UK and this is the only med we have with Metro in it) I did a 3 day course of half strength(he has never had a med in his life so started cautiously) and he actually ate normally on day 4....and that was the last time that was 3 and a half weeks ago...he is still strong looking ,sleeps more though...I did another Octozin course moving up to 3 quarter dose, gave him another break and am currently in day 6 of the current course at full dose...my reasoning for continuing the treatment beyond 3 days is that if I get 'most' of the parasite if I back off surely it will start to multiply again ? I am now getting desperate and thinking of force feeding pellets and Epsom....although terrified at the prospect of having to net him out of the tank to feed, can you talk me through how you go about it....? I guess my biggest fear is if he has a heart attack from the stress of netting or damages himself in the process...he is one strong fish though..
Also Neo if you read this...what UK med can I use to treat for a bacterial infection if the feeding does not work...my usual 2 are Waterlife Myxazin (malachite green) or currently preferred Interpet '13' an antibacterial med said to cure swim bladder disease....but it does contain Bronopol and formaldehyde as active ingredients... any thoughts..?
Sorry for hijacking your thread man...just your situation rang so many bells..
Craig

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Sorry scarysdad, I just now found your post on May 14th! My Flowerhorn fully recovered after not eating anything that wasn't force fed for over two months. They can go for a LONG time with NO food. Your fish developed "hole in the head desease" at some point. It is almost always due to dirty water and I'm not sure that the holes ever go away once cured, but the fact that your fish is so old means that you MUST know what you're doing. My Flowerhorn is very large and netting him started out as a splashy, wet great big deal, but after a while, he let me net him easily enough. I found a syringe made for feeding birds and attached a rubber tube to the end. I soaked pellets in salt water for several hours and shot them down his throat. Simply getting it in his mouth WONT work and use caution. Don't inject with too much force. You'll see the fish gulping as he swallows. Not all pellets are good candidates. You need some that turn into absolute mush. You may even need to smash them further. I have a HUGE supply of metrodonazole powder. More than I could ever use. I'd be happy to send you some. That is unless you are aware of any laws stopping me.

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
Thanks for the reply Zeropilot.....I lost Scary 3 weeks ago now, I don't think force feeding him would have done any good I'm pretty convinced that it was not a gut related problem more due to kidney or liver failure just due to his age...if you read my thread 'clutching at straws' I describe in detail what he went through towards the end....everyone tells me 'it was his time' and I'm pretty convinced he knew this and just wanted to be left alone....I'm still pretty upset but I take a little comfort in the fact he had a long happy life....I'm certainly the better for having looked after him....thanks anyway.....

chillgorjus

Feeder Fish
Jan 10, 2020
Sorry scarysdad, I just now found your post on May 14th! My Flowerhorn fully recovered after not eating anything that wasn't force fed for over two months. They can go for a LONG time with NO food.
Hi I know this is a long time ago. Is it the Neoplex that cured your FH? I'm experiencing the same white cotton like poop, my FH not eating for 3 weeks.. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store