Fluidized bed filters vs. Trickle Filter

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
Gooda said:
The reason that its "recomended" to not use them on salt water is because they depleat the amount of oxygen in the water (wich is lower in salt water then fresh). But, if you combine the FBF with something like a wet dry, or even air stones in your tank it will more then make up for the lower levels of O2

Yes I have heard this, good info.. I run a big wet dry on my tank so no worries..

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
unknownuza13 said:
I think FBF are awesome. I just recently got mine going with the help from a friend. I am now ordering FBF's for all my tanks over 55 gallon, and when I set up a real monster tank 300 gallon + the sand bed filter will be the backbone of the biological filtration.
glad you enjoy the FBF... "backbone of the biological filtration" YUP YUP...

Star-Flog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
SINGAPORE
Vince said:
Better still, combined both system together such as this QuikSand™ In-Sump Fluidized Biofilters

This filter is designed to be placed into an existing sump or trickle filter. Water is pumped into its base (1/2" barb inlet) to fluidize the media and the outflow spills over the top.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/7843/cid/1964

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area

Gooda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Vince said:
Yeah I know that I sound like some ebay chump, but I got two rated for 900 gallons for $80 a piece + shipping.

Someone asked how they work:

Water is removed from the sump and pumped into the FBF. The sand in the bottom is pushed upward through the tube putting it into a sustained free fall. The sand particals house nitrifying bacteria that remove amonia, nitrates and nitrites from the water. The flow rate through the tube only pushes the sand about 2/3 the way up in the tube, so that you don't blow it all out the top, then the fresh water is pumped back into the sump and back into the tank. They have some good pic's in the DIY section too.

mark.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
n/a
so the best way to set up the fsb is through a sump and not throgh the main tank

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
mark. said:
so the best way to set up the fsb is through a sump and not throgh the main tank
You can also do it HOB style. The Lifegaurd FBF's have a clamp to attatch to the back of the tank. I use a powerhead and a sponge or prefilter, and it has a waterfall back into the tank.

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
I have one on my 220g. At the moment I have it hanging on the side of the tank running off a sumbersible pump inside the tank but I have just finished setting up my new sump and will be setting the FBF up to run off the sump return and then recirculate back into the sump.

What I heard about them is that they are very efficient biological filtration for the size and flow rate. They recover better and more quickly than a wet/dry after a power outage situation, and they handle sudden increases in bio load better than most other systems. The last 2 points I read are a result of the type of bacteria which colonises the FBF. Due to the constant movement of the sand grains(bumping into each other) the older and dead bacteria is removed from the media and replaced with the newer younger bacteria. This means there is always a large population of younger bacteria which are able to multiply more quickly than the older bacteria?

Again this is just what I have read so I dont know how much of it is theory or how much is proven fact?

I have pic but its very crappy, will get a better pic soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store