Fluidized bed filters vs. Trickle Filter

Star-Flog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
SINGAPORE
Gooda said:
Someone asked how they work:

Water is removed from the sump and pumped into the FBF. The sand in the bottom is pushed upward through the tube putting it into a sustained free fall. The sand particals house nitrifying bacteria that remove amonia, nitrates and nitrites from the water. The flow rate through the tube only pushes the sand about 2/3 the way up in the tube, so that you don't blow it all out the top, then the fresh water is pumped back into the sump and back into the tank. They have some good pic's in the DIY section too.
:clap :clap Great.
FBF is essentially a bio-filtration system and therefore the main tank water has to be filtered first before entering FBF to be effective...

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
jasonstone said:
Hardb0iled,

How are you primarily removing your nitrates? Is your tank heavily planted or are you doing mostly water chages (or both)?
This tank is still very new, but just the usual water changes for the moment. I want to try a DIY denitrator at some stage to see if they are useful, even if they reduce water changes by a half it would be handy? Besides the savings on tank maintenance time, we have permanent water restrictions in Aust so a large tank and weekly water changes arent ideal!

At the moment I am logging my tank parameters, I will do this for a while to get a trend for this tank, then whan I add a DIY denitrator I will hopefully be able to clearly see any impact it has on nitrate levels over a period of time.

;)

jasonstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
west coasts, usa
Very cool.

I have seen plans for the coil denitrators, but havent seen any numbers that show their effectiveness. I wonder how they would compare to having a philodendrun. pothos, or mangrove growing in a sump...

things that make you go hmmm.

thanks again!

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
just to add to the topic, i ve built quite a few smaller fbf`s for my smaller tanks.
i now have a 500+ gal tank which i use a sump filter witha wet dry.

ive just added a small diy fbf to the filter which has been running for 2 weeks. ive always loved fbf`s as they are very effective bio filtration and they take up hardly no room so just about every body could add one, and anyone can build one.

ive added a pic of my fbf, its not the greatest ive built but it only took my 30 mins tobuild and i have a new larger one planned when i come across the right materials to use on it.

Picture 006 (Small).jpg

hardb0iled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Australia
jasonstone said:
I have seen plans for the coil denitrators, but havent seen any numbers that show their effectiveness.
...yeah exactly, I've seen a few people build and use different types and say yeah they work great, but they dont seem to have any evidence to show that they work great? So I decided if I'm going to do it I'll make sure I can measure their effectiveness.

The one I'm thinking I will try is very simple, its using a special media made by seachem called de*nitrate(I think) ;) You fill a small canister with it(PVC pipe with end caps) and apparently you set a specified flow rate through the canister and its supposed to reduce nitrates. I know a guy who has 2 very large tanks with these running on them, and this guy does not do things by halves so I'm thinking they must have some benefit?

Sharp Tooth - cool DIY FBF :thumbsup:

I would have had a go at making one, but this one I only paid about $40AU for so I figured it was worth it just to try it out and see how they go. Like most other filtration, once you know the basics on how it works, there is not a lot to them! ;)

jasonstone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
west coasts, usa
hardb0iled said:
I would have had a go at making one, but this one I only paid about $40AU for so I figured it was worth it just to try it out and see how they go. Like most other filtration, once you know the basics on how it works, there is not a lot to them! ;)
That is the same boat that I am in. I picked up two FBFs a while back from a fellow fishkeeper that was moving out of the area. Needless to say, the price was good. Nothing beats buying from fish clubs and/or other hobbyists (except maybe garage sales).

I dont currently need to run them, but when I figure out when and how I will do a Monster Tank, I will certainly implement one. My bioloads are quite low in my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store