FLUVAL FX6 Rim Connector fitting issue....

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I wasn't sure if the fittings were made different than what my FX5 has but they look to be the same.I broke a few of them trying to get them onto my 265,one would think that manufacturers of such a large filter would take into account the trim thickness of some the larger tanks that the filters would be used on.
No they want you to have to buy replacements

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
So I just bought a new 300 gallon and had the same issue with the rim connector

Turns out the aluminum trim is too wide. Yes my tank has an aluminum frame. So the rim connector has to be modified a bit. You have to cut the snap lock portion off first and then the little bit of reinforcement plastic also must get scored on each side with a sharp utility knife a couple of times and also snapped off. Once this is done it works perfectly. This works great for the intakes because the the strainer has suction cups so it holds in place nicely. The outputs may give you some problem, worked fine with my frame but it might wobble because it might be too loose.

So this is what I had to do to be able to use the FX5/6 rim connector.

The bottom one is the modded one.

sayersweb

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Sugar Land, Texas
sayersweb.com
I also have them on a 300 gallon... they are tight and very difficult to remove if you need to move them. One other thing to remember is that they can grip and damage the silicone where the glass meets the frame. Be careful when sliding the rim connector sideways to position it after it is clipped onto the tank.

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
Update, they fit great !!! No problems getting them on (they are a tight fit,but to me thats a good thing)

Rim Connector.jpg

DaddyFlip

Feeder Fish
Mar 3, 2016
I made a notch in the inside lip of the tank trim the same width as the bracket so the bracket slips on easier. Before, I could not remove the bracket at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store