Four - 40 breeders what should I breed?

glovanator

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
Ontario, Canada
HI,

I've got Four 40 breeders hooked up. I'm going to try to breed super reds in one. And zebra pleco's in another. What do you suggest I do with the other two?

I was thinking about trying to breed L200's. Is there another super popular pleco?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
HI,

I've got Four 40 breeders hooked up. I'm going to try to breed super reds in one. And zebra pleco's in another. What do you suggest I do with the other two?

I was thinking about trying to breed L200's. Is there another super popular pleco?
Niki_up Niki_up

glovanator

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Well I'm already stretching the bank on the L46 I plan on getting. I'm thinking L236 is a little too far out of my budget. And to be honest I'm not really a fan, they aren't stunning.

I'll research the L134. I'm trying to choose fish I'm passionate about. I anticipate challenges breeding and I need something to hook me.

glovanator

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Yeah but I need positive reinforcement... And waiting 2.5-3 years for L46 to get maturity requires a lot of patience. That's why the super red bristlenose .. After 6 month I'll enjoy the breeding. I'm thinking I need another Pleco that reaches maturity quickly. So at least I have 2 useful tanks while I wait the very long time for the pleco's to reach maturity.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Niki_up Niki_up
I read this thread and came back to it three times now

after reading the suggestions made and OP wanting quickly maturing plecos makes it difficult. One reason plecos are so expensive is bc they take time to mature and breed, they are not a quick cash kind of deal.

sure bn will breed quickly but before you know it you’ve flooded the local market and now have no where to off load all your babies. Your bn don’t know the market is flooded and they will continue to breed haha

I liked the OP’s comment of wanting to find something they are interested in keeping as this will ensure they stay focused on the group of plecos.

green phantoms are bred in aquariums now but I’m not sure how easily they are bred…I assume not too easily as you don’t often hear of it.

most hypansistrous and ansistrous plecos will easily bred for you, just takes time to raise them.

the world of ansistrous plecos is far and wide if you enjoy the Bn maybe one of these types will spark your interest

Jeb77

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2010
New bedford mass
I read this thread and came back to it three times now

after reading the suggestions made and OP wanting quickly maturing plecos makes it difficult. One reason plecos are so expensive is bc they take time to mature and breed, they are not a quick cash kind of deal.

sure bn will breed quickly but before you know it you’ve flooded the local market and now have no where to off load all your babies. Your bn don’t know the market is flooded and they will continue to breed haha

I liked the OP’s comment of wanting to find something they are interested in keeping as this will ensure they stay focused on the group of plecos.

green phantoms are bred in aquariums now but I’m not sure how easily they are bred…I assume not too easily as you don’t often hear of it.

most hypansistrous and ansistrous plecos will easily bred for you, just takes time to raise them.

the world of ansistrous plecos is far and wide if you enjoy the Bn maybe one of these types will spark your interest
I totally agree pleco's take a lot of time and patience. I had my hypancistrus debilittera for about a year and a half before they spawned.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I totally agree pleco's take a lot of time and patience. I had my hypancistrus debilittera for about a year and a half before they spawned.
Yea that’s normal for most types of plecos.

I find people don’t want to pay full price for the plecos, but they also want to get into breeding plecos bc they see how much money they are worth. Like pick a lane haha

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
2-3 years goes by fast. My l46 are almost adults now and ready to breed. One the most stunning freshwater fish. Worth the wait to breed them imo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store