Fresh Water Moray Eel

jappie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2018
(1) Yes can.. Most of my friends keep their FW moray eels in full FW for years with no ill effects. I myself keep mine in low-end brackish (1.006-1.009 SG), but I think it's not a requirement.

(2)Tiger Eels (I assume you meant Gymnothorax Polyuranodon) could grow to 100 cm maybe more, but mostly they grow to 80 cm. In a big aquarium, you can keep up to 5 with no problems.

(3)I keep my Tiger Eels with 3 white-cheeked morays and 2 tidepool snake morays, and they seems happy to enjoy each other's company.

(4) I give my Tiger Eels all kinds of live and frozen food. Live guppies, live mollies, live shrimps, chopped shrimps.. but interestingly, since I fed it bloodworms, it seems to eat bloodworms first before others.

This is one of my tiger eels eating bloodworms:

looks awesome! I think i wil take them. I'm going to redesign my aquarium around March/May

And what about the water with like PH an GH what is the best for them ??

And the design of the aquarium? i'm thinking about pvc pipes in the sand and a lot of rocks. do they ruin plants??

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
looks awesome! I think i wil take them. I'm going to redesign my aquarium around March/May

And what about the water with like PH an GH what is the best for them ??

And the design of the aquarium? i'm thinking about pvc pipes in the sand and a lot of rocks. do they ruin plants??
(1) about water parameters, since the tiger eel lives in tropical rivers in Indonesia and North Australia, about several kilometers away from the estuarium, I suggest you try to recreate those parameters, including the temperature (which is very important if you don't live in SE Asia). Think of a river with very strong currents, rocky bottom, and has direct access to estuarium. The water will be hard ph and with variable salinity (from pure fresh to a bit of brackish contamination).

(2) about aquarium design, I have seen people around here keep tiger eels in very bare tank, no ornaments whatsoever, and the eels thrives anway. On the other hand, I also saw them in very beautifully aquascaped FW aquariums with various plants, so I guess it's possible.

But please keep in mind that these are eels, and eels loves to (a) hide and (b) digging into substrates. So, there must be some kind of arrangements possible to ensure that they won't dig out your plants.

You have the right idea by introduce PVC pipes with sand and rocks. Tiger eels got stressed if they cannot hide, so if you could provide a pipe for hiding it's very good.

One interesting note: My own eels in fact are very fond of rearranging their aquarium. For such slim animals they are surprisingly strong. Very often they dug out their PVC pipes and overturn the clamshells and broken corals and bogwoods, and put those wherever they like. They seem to like to stack everything in a corner and hide under those as a community.

(3) additional info: All long fishes, especially tiger eels, WILL make attempts to escape from your aquarium. It's in their instincts, honed by millions of years of evolution in living on rivers, which often became dried-out during hot seasons. Even mine try to escape every now and them :(

So, please keep the top of your aquarium covered, and do not max out the water on the aquarium, if your aquarium height is 100 cm, it's better not fill it all the way but please keep it in 60-70cm to prevent escaping. Especially when your tiger eel has become bigger/longer (say, 50cm or more) then be extra careful, as they can actually "stand" vertically against your aquarium wall and "climb up" using "S-shaped" movements, or they can also climb the filter and use the filter cables to slither out.

jmanrow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2018
Sherwood, Oregon
Hi,

I'm considering to take a FW moray eel but i want a little more info.
Can you guys answer some questions for me?

Can a FW tiger moray eel in fully FW because i know the most are brackish?
How many should i take in a 450L (119 gallon) aquarium?
What tankmater are good for a FW moray eel because i know they are shy?
What is the best food for them?
They're all found near estuaries, and are sometimes collected in freshwater. They breed in full seawater. If you want them to thrive, at least have a specific gravity of 1.005.

jmanrow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2018
Sherwood, Oregon
I have only been familiar with some of the other Moray Eels that have been sold as freshwater eels in the past. The tiger Moray eel (Gymnothorax polyuranodon) appears to be found more often in freshwater than in brackish or full marine water. This seems to be the only species that has adapted to living and spawning in a full freshwater environment. I'm glad that I did some more research on this. It looks like they get up to 4 ft in length, so it looks like you are prepared to have an adequate setup for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store