Freshwater Algea Reef

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Really impressive algal growth.
You don't by any chance know if any benthic invertebrates prefer certain algae types to other?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I always throw moss and/or algae in fry tanks as there are lots of organisms the fry can munch on for a healthy start. You took it to the next level. Your experiments on the spectrum of light for different algae is fascinating

Reactions: cockroach

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
now my next question Mark,
If you don't mind the plethora of algae and periphyton noob questions.
The different spectrum grow different algae.
If you have an LED light with differing nm diodes all evenly spaced to create a nice white light. Would this be enough to ensure all types of algae find their niche in the aquarium and grow.
I understand, some grow faster, others are more sensitive etc, etc. But given time and a lack of initial predation a healthy colony of periphyton should establish in a tank.

I ask as I am busy planning my river manifold rack similar to what KansasSunfish KansasSunfish did and algae will be my "plants".

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
now my next question Mark,
If you don't mind the plethora of algae and periphyton noob questions.
The different spectrum grow different algae.
If you have an LED light with differing nm diodes all evenly spaced to create a nice white light. Would this be enough to ensure all types of algae find their niche in the aquarium and grow.
I understand, some grow faster, others are more sensitive etc, etc. But given time and a lack of initial predation a healthy colony of periphyton should establish in a tank.

I ask as I am busy planning my river manifold rack similar to what KansasSunfish KansasSunfish did and algae will be my "plants".
Yes, and No.

Complex algea grows best under 640nm brite reds, as most plants, simple algae grow only under 660nm deep red.
A mix of all spectrums would allow the faster growing simple algea to smother the more complex varieties.

However if the algea colony is grazed upon by organisms. Snails and small fish are going to eat the softer simpler first, and allow the others room to grow.

If left idle the simple film algea
will cover every thing preventing other types places to attach.

20190130_154301.jpg
50 watt grow chip, augmented with a 10 watt green. Provides a white light. It has been growing algea, but mostly as a secondary food source on my grow out tank.
20190130_154906.jpg
660nm grn/cob. Cob only
My store purchased led fixtures use very few reds, mostly blues, probably to control algea.

Plants use chlorophyll A and B, in the red and blue spectrum.

I would think, that a 420 mm blue, 640 nm red, with a 550 mm green would grow complex plants in water with minimal film algea growth. Were a 453 nm blue x 660nm red with a 550nm green would smother plants, and grow film algea really well.

Reactions: cockroach

Vampire fish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2014
Florida
Can you recommend a similar light at the lowest cost to achieve similar results and how long to run the light?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store