Freshwater eel options

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I'm a little biased, but what about a bichir instead of an eel? If your tank is big enough for a fire eel you could probably do lower jaws or one of the "big 3" upper jaws.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I think those fresh water morays are brackish and you're going to need to add salt.
The G.Tile moray commonly sold as a freshwater moray does indeed need brackish water...

But the G.Polyuranadon can live its life in freshwater, one of the dealers here owns one thats said to be about 48" long, and living in fresh over 3 years now...

I also own 4 that have been in freshwater growing rapidly and eating well...

valentined4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2017
The G.Tile moray commonly sold as a freshwater moray does indeed need brackish water...

But the G.Polyuranadon can live its life in freshwater, one of the dealers here owns one thats said to be about 48" long, and living in fresh over 3 years now...

I also own 4 that have been in freshwater growing rapidly and eating well...
Awesome that's good to know. I think I might try it out! then go with the fresh water moray they are the best looking freshwater ell.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Check out fugupuff fugupuff , hes a vendor on here that sometimes gets G.Polys in for sale if you are in the US...

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
For a truly freshwater eel, I would recomend an Asian Swamp Eel. I'm not sure about the availability on your end, but where I'm at, I can only find it in live food markets and not the pet store.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
There are smaller spiny eels from Central and Northern Africa as well as from Asia. There are also the other eels that have been mentioned.

G. Polyuranodon is completely FW

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
There are smaller spiny eels from Central and Northern Africa as well as from Asia. There are also the other eels that have been mentioned.

G. Polyuranodon is completely FW
I wouldn't say "completely" - they can live in fresh, brackish or full marine conditions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store