Freshwater Sponges: check it out

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
I went to collect some gobies for my Dniester Biotope project and guess what I found? A real life freshwater sponge or Spongilla fluviatilis. I have heard of freshwater sponges, but until now, I have never seen one.

This is what I have noticed on a pieces of wood. At first, I thought that it was some sort of egg clutch. But it just felt weird, almost like moss. But it turned out a beginning of a new sponge colony

Another look at small sponge colony

Close up of Spongilla fluviatilis

And than I saw a fully formed freshwater sponge colony. Looks like something out of the ocean. almost like a coral. Just not as colorful

A crappy look at the freshwater sponge colonies underwater

Another piece of the sponge

Looks like a piece of coral, but it's a freshwater sponge!!!

This little piece of the freshwater sponge I took home to put into my new tank. Let's see how it goes

My silly face in front of the great Dniester River)))

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Totally Old School (in an awesome way) to go out and harvest, and to come across crazy stuff like that. I'm fascinated.

Reactions: vitaly

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
I took some more photos of freshwater sponges today. this time they are bright green. probably due to algae

Bottom View​

smaller colonies of sponges​

Oh, and they do smell pretty funky))) kind of like something rotten)))

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Looks like I'm the only one posting in this thread, Vitaly, but this is totally cool.

I guess other members can't see the beauty. Surprising, actually. Considering these things are so rare in the hobby that you'd think MFK is the place with people who know to appreciate it. Weird.

Keep it up, please. Keep posting this stuff.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Looks like I'm the only one posting in this thread, Vitaly, but this is totally cool.

I guess other members can't see the beauty. Surprising, actually. Considering these things are so rare in the hobby that you'd think MFK is the place with people who know to appreciate it. Weird.

Keep it up, please. Keep posting this stuff.

thanks. it does seem like this board is dead. kind of strange.

I took 2 polyps home to put into my aquarium. according to russian language sites they do really well in fishtanks. but we'll see

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nice vitaly, I would totally keep them, but I had to break down/ give away all my tanks:(
We have freshwater sponges here in the United States but they aren't as interesting, we also have bryozoans

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
Nice vitaly, I would totally keep them, but I had to break down/ give away all my tanks:(
We have freshwater sponges here in the United States but they aren't as interesting, we also have bryozoans
yes, broke down all my tanks since i moved out florida to europe. this is my first tank here. what are bryozoans? i'll have to look them up

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Bryzoans are kinda like sponges, they grow on branches in clean water, basically they look like greenish or brownish globs and can grow as big as a basketball

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Cool stuff vitaly! Keep us updated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com