From discus to Flowerhorn

Disfloaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2016
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I used to maintain a discus aquarium for the past 3 years, and now in to flowerhorn. I purchased my first flowerhorn, and please help me in identiying the type and also if able to say its a male or female. this is about 4-5 inch in size.

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Not really white eyes, but yellow.
The white eyes and yellow eyes is no difference when it comes to kamfa as long as it is not red!

White/yellow=kamfa
Red=ZZ but can be a mix of kamfa/KML and others

He has strong KOK (coke) gene aka HUMP gene.

Also he is a male. Read up on the stickies on this forum it has a lot of information on these fish.

A strong indication that a flowerhorn is a female is a black dorsal spot. Not always but a strong indication.
Also females will not have a big kok. Thats not always the case though Ive had females that had bigger koks than males. Its just an indication.

The best way to know if its a female to male is if a female lay eggs but I can tell you your fish is a male most likely.

Disfloaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2016
thanks for teh detail info. Please let me know how often i should feed him live insects? at 4 inch size, can i give him lizard?

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
thanks for teh detail info. Please let me know how often i should feed him live insects? at 4 inch size, can i give him lizard?
Only as a treat if you must/have to... Once or twice a week and only a very little bit. Stick to pellets... They have rather weak digestive systems and easily develop digestive issues/problems.

Reactions: Disfloaro

Disfloaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2016
just an update on my flowerhorn..took these pictures yesterday night. he is really growing big since i got him. he was 4 inch when i took and now in a month time, nearing 5 inch. His KOK pumped up a bit as well.

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

Reactions: ucantkillme89

Disfloaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2016
Dear All,

Just an update of my Flowerhorn. Its exactly 1 month since purchased..nice growth for 1 month. What grade this flowerhorn must be? his KOK is getting really big.

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store