frontosa's in a 55g?

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I'd say if you're going to upgrade in due time go ahead and get them but I kept them years ago and they do get big. Just don't keep them in that tank for any extended period of time and really try to get a group. 2 Fronts are not a group! I'm not an expert but i would say get at least 5 to 7. Good luck.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
i bought 7 and i'm weeding out the first two males so i'll have 5

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
toehead11183;811525; said:
i bought 7 and i'm weeding out the first two males so i'll have 5
I found that having more a 50/50 mix you get better results than 1 male to 10 females.....fish like variety too.....:ROFL: Larger amounts of fish dont need to be culled unless you have a huge sausage fest......and if you where to cull the colony down, only do it to wild caught ones.....F1, F2's and so on.....you should cull all the males and get another male from a different colony....try to bring in new blood lines......

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
fishingaddict;811623; said:
now theyre tiny so i have them in a 55g. do they eat live fish such as rosy reds?
No, most front owners dont feed them live....its more frozen foods such as krill, brine, blood worms, flakes, SINKING pellets, market shrimp, ghost shrimp, black worms......Tou dont want to get tehm in the habit of eating live as teh rest of the colony might eat the fry when hatched down the road....

Go to cichlid-forums.com or cyphos.com all the front info you will need to knwo is there....and then some....

You should read up on the needs of the fish before you go further....

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
they may not eat for a few days. they need to settle in. mine ate on day 4 or 5

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
Try frozen krill.....you can get it at all Petco's......I have yet to own a front that turned down frozen krill......or any fish.....make sure u put it in a cup to thaw it out first.....so it will sink down to them and not have them gulping air when they bite at it at the surface:)

fishingaddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
houston, texas
tankmates;806312; said:
I started with 3 very small frontosas (1/2 in.) in a 55G with 3 yellow labs. As they grew, it turned out there was one female and two males. The males did not get along so I moved one to another tank. The male and female spawned 3 times before the male jumped out of the tank. He was about 15" and the female is about 6". I have the juvies growing out in a 120G.

It is possible, however a bigger tank is better.
hm.. i plan on gettn some more fronts and hopefully find a bigger tank on craigslist. is there a way to tell the difference between male and female?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store