Frozen Krill Vs. Freeze Dried Krill

fishfreak317

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
flowerhorncraze.com
ok all these sound purty much like the same thing, right?

Omega One Frozen Krill vs. SFBay Freeze Dried Krill.

Both state they are whole krill and thats it. issue i see is that the Guaranteed Analysis are way off for both these products.

Omega One Frozen:
Crude Protein: 7.5%
Crude Fat: 2.6%
Crude Fiber: 0.8%
Moisture: 87%

SFBay Freeze-dried:
Crude Protien: 61.8%
Crude Fat: 20.63%
Crude Ash: 15.38%
Crude Fiber: 2.41%
Moisture: 1.57%

Why does the freeze-dried have a crap ton more protien and fat?
Also what is ASH? So i'm not understanding why these are basicly the same product, but so different analysis. also based on this chart. what would you use? :nilly:

Scottfree

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
location, location, location
There may be a slight variance, but it really is the water that is the factor. One thing I don't quite understand is the % of fat in freeze dried, doesn't quite make sense, the live product itself prior to freezing or freeze drying doesn't contain near that amount of fat.

When can I see your tanks??? Chomping at the bit....ha Oh and definitley would take those firemouths off your hands, I need some cichlid targets for my cichlids....

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
As WF noted, you must remember to "subtract" the moisture from frozen foods before comparing them to dry foods. Nutritional concerns aside, my fish prefer frozen krill over FD krill "fins" down. :)

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
There is a difference between the different brands as well. Compare frozen hikari vs frozen sf bay, or FD hikari vs. sf. bay.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
WyldFya;678828; said:
There is a difference between the different brands as well. Compare frozen hikari vs frozen sf bay, or FD hikari vs. sf. bay.
Hikari is a much better quality.

If you have surface feeders, use freeze dried. If you have midwater feeders, use frozen. If you have monsters, use real shrimp.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I use shrimp just because it is cheaper, but for bloodworms I ALWAYS use hikari. The difference between SFB and Hikari was 20+% protein, for the same size package of bloodworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store