Fry Question Help?!

agent1207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
I currently have 30ish, maybe a little less, African cichlid Venustus fry in a 20 gallon aquarium they have been in the plastic breeder box for 3 days now. I have been having trouble feeding them as they all tend to swim away when I try and feed them, but just recently a few notice that when I come around they look for food at the surface.

How long should I leave the fry in the breeder box before releasing them to the whole aquarium?

The reason I ask this is because they are so tiny and its much much easier to feed them all in the same confined area, and I am worried that once I let the fry out of the breeder box some of the fish won't be able to get enough food/ have lots of wasted food.

Plus if you guys have any more advise you think I should know let me know, Thanks!

20201003_152942.jpg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
what’s the tank look like? is it just for the fry? no tank mates ya?

if it’s just the fry only - let them go... got a sponge over intake filter?

agent1207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
what’s the tank look like? is it just for the fry? no tank mates ya?

if it’s just the fry only - let them go... got a sponge over intake filter?
Its just the fry alone, in the 20 gallon (long), right now they are in the plastic breeder box.

The only filter im using was a used sponge filter from an older tank.

So you think its best to just let them out, eh.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Its just the fry alone, in the 20 gallon (long), right now they are in the plastic breeder box.

The only filter im using was a used sponge filter from an older tank.

So you think its best to just let them out, eh.
What are you feeding the fry. A Turkey Baster is a great tool to have help feed fry.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
ya bud - should be good!

gl! and congrats!

Reactions: agent1207

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I currently have 30ish, maybe a little less, African cichlid Venustus fry in a 20 gallon aquarium they have been in the plastic breeder box for 3 days now. I have been having trouble feeding them as they all tend to swim away when I try and feed them, but just recently a few notice that when I come around they look for food at the surface.

How long should I leave the fry in the breeder box before releasing them to the whole aquarium?

The reason I ask this is because they are so tiny and its much much easier to feed them all in the same confined area, and I am worried that once I let the fry out of the breeder box some of the fish won't be able to get enough food/ have lots of wasted food.

Plus if you guys have any more advise you think I should know let me know, Thanks!

View attachment 1435120
I let my fry have a tank to themselves immediately and I feed fry powder for the first two weeks then I use crushed flakes, just use a sponge filter so they don’t get sucked up

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I keep mine in small floating boxes or small tanks so I can target feed them and only move them out once they fill all 4 corners of the tank. That’s when they get a bigger tank. Either that or I only fill the tank partway and raise water level as they get bigger so they can find the food easier

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store