Fx6 aquastop valve leak

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Oh, forgot. The only time I have an issue is if the special o-ring is cracked or broken. If broke or cracked, like I said earlier, it's cheaper to buy the whole Aquastop and have spare parts for the future.

Reactions: deeda

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Thanks for the tips!!

Again, strangely the valve that was leaking is no longer leaking. And guess what?! My other fx6 is experiencing the same leak. they are both around the same age (2-3 years) so maybe the "special ring" has a 3 year lifespan, it at least, needs some lube at the 3 year mark.

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Thanks for the tips!!

Again, strangely the valve that was leaking is no longer leaking. And guess what?! My other fx6 is experiencing the same leak. they are both around the same age (2-3 years) so maybe the "special ring" has a 3 year lifespan, it at least, needs some lube at the 3 year mark.
It won’t hurt to try and lube it. I’ve seen them so tight, they make a snapping sound to turn them to the open or closed. A little Vaseline, they work better than new.

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Thanks for the tips!!

Any chance you popped the valve off and lubed it up yet? Or are you ordering a new one first just in case of the worst?

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Any chance you popped the valve off and lubed it up yet? Or are you ordering a new one first just in case of the worst?
I placed an order to have backup in case I screw things up. I'll report back.

oscarcichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kent
Mine leaks the same as yours only after i reduce the flow on them to do water changes every week. It will drip and then stop after an hour or so sealing itself.

Ive bought a replacement valve to switch over but never got around to doing do.

I contacted hagen regarding it and they didnt want to know.

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Mine leaks the same as yours only after i reduce the flow on them to do water changes every week. It will drip and then stop after an hour or so sealing itself.

Ive bought a replacement valve to switch over but never got around to doing do.

I contacted hagen regarding it and they didnt want to know.
Have you tried lubing them them? Again I only put a small amount spread on the special o-ring all the way around. No excess build up on it. More of a film.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Great info thanks for sharing M Mdoka , I haven’t needed to service my fx5 valve in the 10 years I’ve owned it. They used to give you a backup valve with the fx5, but for some reason they don’t with the fx6.

Reactions: Mdoka

Mdoka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2018
USA
Great info thanks for sharing M Mdoka , I haven’t needed to service my fx5 valve in the 10 years I’ve owned it. They used to give you a backup valve with the fx5, but for some reason they don’t with the fx6.
I would imagine it’s like most everything these days. Cost. It’s all about cutbacks and saving a buck. :idea:

Reactions: TheWolfman

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
I have an FX6 and an FX4. I usually take the Aquastop valve apart and lube the special o-ring with a small amount of vaseline or petroleum jelly. I do not remove the special o-ring, just gently apply some to the exterior. There is a tab on the back side of the valve. Gently pry it over just enough to let the valve come out. Here are pics of mine apart. You can plainly see the tab and special o-ring. If your special o-ring is broke, just as cheap to buy the whole valve.

Pic #1 - Looking down into valve open.
Pic #2 - Looking into valve closed.
Pic #3 - Looking at back side of valve where the tab is. (I've already pulled the valve out.)
Pic #4 - Shows the special o-ring that you can simply apply a small amount of vaseline to and remedy the dry/sticky hard to turn valve. It also helps make a tighter seal.

View attachment 1355892 View attachment 1355894 View attachment 1355895 View attachment 1355896
Put new valve in and tried gently pry tab but nothing would budge. I have no idea how you were able to do this. If you have time, please post a video? Could help a lot of members out.

Reactions: kcinimod
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store