FX6 Plumbing

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks for the link. I did not rough up the PVC. I considered it but I figured a plastic specific paint would FUSE to the pvc without any prep. Lesson learned I suppose...

Overall the project was cheap and relatively easy and I am pretty happy with it as it certainly is an improvement over the original equipment. Especially happy ridding myself of the massive FX6 intake strainers.
If you want clean black PVC in 1” have a look into formufit. They make a ton of matching fittings, multiple colors as well. It’s furniture grade PVC and will easily handle an FX6. I’ve plumbed formufit to Reeflo hammerhead pumps so an FX6 should be easy for it to handle.

Krylon is nice for small applications but large setups or rough fish and it looks terrible.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
If you want clean black PVC in 1” have a look into formufit. They make a ton of matching fittings, multiple colors as well. It’s furniture grade PVC and will easily handle an FX6. I’ve plumbed formufit to Reeflo hammerhead pumps so an FX6 should be easy for it to handle.

Krylon is nice for small applications but large setups or rough fish and it looks terrible.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it is staying as it is, no sense in redoing everything. Good to know for future projects though.

Aquaman, the intake strainers are just 1" Lifeguard strainers that I got off Amazon. Here's a link...
https://www.amazon.com/Lifegard-Aqu...F8&qid=1520024713&sr=8-6&keywords=1"+strainer

Reactions: Aquaman6

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I took a torch and heated the slip fitting on my return and squashed it in a vice to make it more of a flatter opening on one end.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
The reduction to 3/4 is just a slip in adapter that goes into the 90 degree elbow. I don't think I'll really loose any flow, it should just increase the velocity in which the water exits the return (hopefully).

I will have 1" ID vinly hose running directly from the canister to barbed 1" PVC fittings.
just want to verify that you used 1 inch inner diameter tubing for this set up? in the process of doing this aswell and don't want to buy the wrong vinyl tubing. thanks

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
just want to verify that you used 1 inch inner diameter tubing for this set up? in the process of doing this aswell and don't want to buy the wrong vinyl tubing. thanks
Yes, I used 1" ID for everything, both PVC and vinyl tubing. Everything is still up and running great.

Reactions: pescado209

Maurismo

Feeder Fish
Apr 30, 2023
Ok, so after letting the two inkakes and returns cure after hitting them with black Krylon Fusion for a week I got everything hooked up and running last night.

Here is a short video showing the flow of the single 3/4" returns.

And here is a pic from under the stand...
View attachment 1302279

A few thoughts...

- The flow is not as dramatic as I thought it was going to be. It is more of a "gushing" than a directional jet. I am still pretty happy with it and it creates plenty of movement and surface agitation when the tank is filled. I was able to remove both my wavemaker and powerhead.

- Krylon Fusion is junk. It covers well and dries fast, however even after letting it cure for a week it easily scraped off from the slightest rubbing against the tank and glass lids..
Checking to see how your setup was currently working, I was interested in getting rid of the FX6 hosing and going with this setup using the Schedule 80 1” piping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store