Gar having bent back

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Thanks a lot all of you .
But my gar still doesn’t eat.. what do I do ? Should I feed him feeders?
And I think it would be better to move him to a smaller tank right?

Last edited:

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks a lot all of you .
But my gar still doesn’t eat.. what do I do ? Should I feed him feeders?
And I think it would be better to move him to a smaller tank right?
I just left my gar alone in the same tank for the 1st few weeks, then it started eating again on its own. I wouldn't move the gar unless tank mates might hurt it.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
whenever I give it fish meat it opens its mouth and swims away.
It often chases the smaller fish. But can’t catch them.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
There is quite a few old posts about this type of thing happening to gars. I am not a gar keeper but it appears that often this can heal such that the gar straightens out or at least lives. Seems only time will tell.

Reactions: Hao

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
There is quite a few old posts about this type of thing happening to gars. I am not a gar keeper but it appears that often this can heal such that the gar straightens out or at least lives. Seems only time will tell.
Keep the stress levels low and it should start eating again. They are tough fish in my experience. Just have to be patient and monitor the fish. Once it starts eating consistently and putting on mass, that's when the back should start straightening out.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Hello again. I hope it’s ok to post in this old thread . But my gars back is still the same as before. And he started to eat and again he is not eating. His big tail fin is torn in half but it is not repairing. Is it because he is not eating ? Or is it a disease?

If I buy another gar of same size for his company would he eat then? (I am anyway going to buy an alligator gar because the tank looks quite empty)

And what about his back? Will it heal when I give him enough food?
Plz answer.....

P.S- can I keep a same size / few inches larger alligator gar with my spotted gar?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store