Gar having bent back

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hello again. I hope it’s ok to post in this old thread . But my gars back is still the same as before. And he started to eat and again he is not eating. His big tail fin is torn in half but it is not repairing. Is it because he is not eating ? Or is it a disease?

If I buy another gar of same size for his company would he eat then? (I am anyway going to buy an alligator gar because the tank looks quite empty)

And what about his back? Will it heal when I give him enough food?
Plz answer.....

P.S- can I keep a same size / few inches larger alligator gar with my spotted gar?
How long has the spine been bent? What were u feeding? Fins not healing can be from not eating although gars can have an occasional period of not eating. Wouldn’t add another gar till ur original gar has improved.

If it’s from injury I’d say it won’t heal. Sometimes seen with poor diet and Hao Hao had a gar with similar issue and it corrected itself.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Thats a Florida gar, not spotted. Adding an alligator gar is a terrible idea for many reasons.. Is there tank mates? Fin split sound like he was attacked. Keep water clean. I would feed roseys until he comes around.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Most likely jumped or darted into the side of the tank and broke its spine, if so it will not heal. This is why most ppl keep gars in smaller confinements and move them up as they grow so they cannot build up enough momentum to cause harm to themselves when startled.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I had this happen a long time ago to a Florida . Not sure if it was injury or water quality but as time went on it got better. He’s now over 10years old and roughly 24”

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store