Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Will he get darker or lighter? I do love his pattern now
Hard to say, I've seen adults range from keeping the juvenile pattern with the stripe, to heavy spotting, to very little spotting, to no pattern on the body.

How they are displayed will also have an effect on their appearance. Darker backgrounds/gravel combos will usually darken up patterns, whereas lighter backgrounds/gravels will wash out their pattern.

Cspivey

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2017
I see. He has the white sand with all live plants as of right now. I plan on getting a new gar this next weekend so I'll be aswing for your help very soon! I have fallen in love with these guys and I can't have just one!

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
please id this gar pls..

4 weeks ago when he was about 25-30cm he ate my 14cm RTG aro.. i found his tummy was so big and the aro dissapeared. the next day when i did WC i found many aro scales under the decor, which confirmed my believe the gar was the culprit.. obviously because the other fishes i had was flowerhorn and oscars which wouldnt be able to swallow an aro.

1 week ago when he was about 35cm, he killed my 14cm kamfa flowerhorn. i cought him red handed with the kamfa in his mouth, he didnt manage to swallow it, but it was too late for the kamfa.

all these happened when they were in 50 gal tank..

just 2 days ago i got my 285gal tank, and also another aro, 35cm crossback aro, at first he stalked the aro, but now it seems he doesnt mind it.

is he a alligator or spotted/florida gar?.
were all the killings due to a cramped tank? or was it just because the gar just being a gar?

IMG-20170123-WA0001.jpg IMG-20170123-WA0002.jpg IMG-20170123-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Its a gator gar.
Gators are more aggressive than spotted gars.
And they grow big !!!
Make a Plan for upgrading your setup or get rid of him.
Such a shame in case of the rtg .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store