Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yep, it's a longnose.
Be careful the Long jaws gets damaged very easy.
I had three and everyone had damaged his nose at the tank glass.
+1

Fezan Ray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Borneo Island
Thank for replies, but how do you differentiate tropical with florida? I googled it, but there is no a sure way to tell either its florida or tropical or spotted.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Thank for replies, but how do you differentiate tropical with florida? I googled it, but there is no a sure way to tell either its florida or tropical or spotted.
Tropical have different snout in comparison to florida/spotted. Tropical's snout closer resemble gator gar. As for differentiation florida and spotted that is a lot more difficult. I'm no expert on that part but as far as I know. Most "spotted" gars in Asia are either cb florida gars or cb hybrid of spotted/florida. There are only a few true wild caught spotted gars that are imported from the US. So it's safe to assume your fish is florida gar and not spotted gar. Maybe someone else could chime in on this.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Hello guys. Im a new guy here. can you help me ID this car?
She has 2 row teeth that looks like Alligator Gar, but her patern looks like Spotted or Florida Gar. I am from Borneo Island, so this is a rare & exotic fish here.
Thanks~~

View attachment 1357374 View attachment 1357375 View attachment 1357376 View attachment 1357377 View attachment 1357378
Florida gar, notice the prominent facial stripe typical of most Florida gars, also keep in mind that goldfish are not healthy feeders

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store