Gar in aquarium

vmahaffe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rochester, MN
Just wanted to get some expert input on gar in an aquarium. Who has them and how do you like them? Someone has a 6" "alligator" gar listed in the classifieds for $10 and I am debating getting it. I have a temporary 58 gallon until I get a house, then I will have a 180 set-up. The reason I put quotes around the alligator part, is I read that alligator gar get to be over 300 lbs and that most are usually short nose or some other types that rarely get over 2 feet. Do those of you with gar like them? I already have a few grass pickerel and a LMB, so I am not sure about another predator. The LMB is going in the 180 and the pickerel will stay in the 58. What does everyone think? Thanks.

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Sorry, but no is the answer. While 10 bucks for an alligator gar is a great deal, Alligator Gars grow up to 10 feet, usually a bit smaller in captivity. Even a 180 gallon tank will be too small, and Alligator Gars grow very fast. Sorry, but you need something like a few thousand gallons, I'm pretty sure.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
vmahaffe;1235111; said:
Just wanted to get some expert input on gar in an aquarium. Who has them and how do you like them? Someone has a 6" "alligator" gar listed in the classifieds for $10 and I am debating getting it. I have a temporary 58 gallon until I get a house, then I will have a 180 set-up. The reason I put quotes around the alligator part, is I read that alligator gar get to be over 300 lbs and that most are usually short nose or some other types that rarely get over 2 feet. Do those of you with gar like them? I already have a few grass pickerel and a LMB, so I am not sure about another predator. The LMB is going in the 180 and the pickerel will stay in the 58. What does everyone think? Thanks.
i agree that it may not be an alligator gar, but you cant be sure until you get pics for a proper id. dont think gator gar are not sold in the hobby just because they get big...they are very uncommon to see in the hobby. the more common gar in the trade would be the florida/spotted gar, but it could also be a shortnose. was this fish wild caught or from an lfs? either way it does not sound like the best idea...gar do not do very well w/ aggressive fish and you dont get much more aggressive than a large mouth bass. although gar are predatory fish, they are easily picked on by more aggressive tankmates. last, but not least...when do you plan on getting your 180? any gar would not last too long in a 58 gallon.

p.s. try to get some pics if you have the chance.

vmahaffe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rochester, MN
demjor19;1235513; said:
i agree that it may not be an alligator gar, but you cant be sure until you get pics for a proper id. dont think gator gar are not sold in the hobby just because they get big...they are very uncommon to see in the hobby. the more common gar in the trade would be the florida/spotted gar, but it could also be a shortnose. was this fish wild caught or from an lfs? either way it does not sound like the best idea...gar do not do very well w/ aggressive fish and you dont get much more aggressive than a large mouth bass. although gar are predatory fish, they are easily picked on by more aggressive tankmates. last, but not least...when do you plan on getting your 180? any gar would not last too long in a 58 gallon.

p.s. try to get some pics if you have the chance.
Thanks for the input. I will probably pass for the same reasons you listed, LMB are more aggressive and would probably bully it around. It is just tempting when I see a predatory fish for sale. I was hoping to have teh 180 set-up next month, but looks like I will have to wait until spring now. I need to sell one house before I buy another, so I am stuck in apartment hell. The 58 is the biggest I feel comfortable with on the 3rd floor.
Here is the 58.

10-23-07_2011.jpg

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
bobVillanueva;1235522; said:
i think even a 180 is small for a gator. . .
it is for a gator, but who knows that its really a gator. that can only be determined from pictures.

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
180 would probably be too small for *any* gar at adult size...

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
i'm no expert but looks like my favorite spotted....gets to 3'

id10t;1243760; said:
180 would probably be too small for *any* gar at adult size...
not true...they're not true gars but 180 is enough for a school of needlenose or hujeta

cmj15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Morgantown, West Virginia
needle nose and hujeta are not true gars

vmahaffe: that doesn't look like a gator, to me it looks more like a longnose gar and in the wild they top out around 5'

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store