Garnet Abrasive Sand

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
They had some garnet at my tractor supply when I picked up my black blast, I can’t remember what grit though. I need a few more bags. I’ll try and remember to grab some pics of what they have in store. Plan on going out tomorrow.
Lots of people must be blasting around here all they had left was the fine grit black. Said 20/40 may be back in a few weeks. :shakeheadDidn’t see any of the garnet even listed anymore at my TSC, sounds like it was too fine anyway.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Im near WI to go up and grab plenty from a supplier in the industrial district of Milwaukee and they are not online i had to call and find out myself after getting lead where its cheaper from a fish club member. It depends on where you are from. Contact Garnet for who they sell to in your area. It was cheap for me at 10 buck per 50lb bag for the red flint sand
Im in central wisconsin. Still about five hours round trip to Milwaukee though.

I used to go to Garnett Abrassives in Milwaukee when I lived there, they also carried filtration sand for water plants and in array of sizes and types.
I believe they supplied many of the aquarium shops in that area.
I havent seen good substrate in a pet store since IDK when. Miss the old days when there were just buckets of bulk stuff for cheap. Worked good, looked good, didnt cost a million bucks. Oh well.

The best garnet sand is Barton 36cg imo.
I looks nice, and it is the perfect grit size.
The only issue is that it takes forever to ship. I think I waited almost 2 months for my Barton to arrive.

In tank:
View attachment 1463481
I have not wanted to go this route due to what seems like a ridiculous cost. However, especially with your recommendation and the great picture it might be the way to go. Probably cheaper than me driving to milwaukee.

Lots of people must be blasting around here all they had left was the fine grit black. Said 20/40 may be back in a few weeks. :shakeheadDidn’t see any of the garnet even listed anymore at my TSC, sounds like it was too fine anyway.
The TSC stuff I can find online is about 90 grit. So unless someone reports back otherwise. TSC would be a 1.5hr drive for me but better than milwaukee...Id still have to order it into the store though.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
No but I did find this chart that shows how big 20 grit is. Never heard about this before. Dose not look like it gose much smaller so if other people used this I would think this size would work. But now that you have the grain size you can compare it to regular sand and see where it is for its size.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So most use 36 when using Barton. Looks like it's 3× larger. I'll have to see if my mic goes that low. I did find 36 on their page too, its over twice as much. Still think 2$/lb isn't a deal breaker. I haven't priced normal sand in years I use pfs or black diamond usually but been wanting to get my hands on garnet for a while.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
So most use 36 when using Barton. Looks like it's 3× larger. I'll have to see if my mic goes that low. I did find 36 on their page too, its over twice as much. Still think 2$/lb isn't a deal breaker. I haven't priced normal sand in years I use pfs or black diamond usually but been wanting to get my hands on garnet for a while.
[/QUOTE

I would think the bigger one would be better it wouldn't get blown around as much. Zoro I get my stuff in a day or two too. Good luck!!!!!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I have a few builds planned and polys are in the plan for the future.

Thats part of my interest. The other is hoping that I might get my curu wolf to lighten up a little, without totally washing out.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have a few builds planned and polys are in the plan for the future.

Thats part of my interest. The other is hoping that I might get my curu wolf to lighten up a little, without totally washing out.
From T Tj203 link I was able to find the commonly used 36 also, it's just that its $96 for 55lbs.

Reactions: Tj203
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store