Gendering OB peacock

Mvrenko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Hello all! A few weeks ago I purchased a juvenile OB peacock. Trying to gender this early is complicated I have realized. I am not experienced enough to vent. Is anyone able to help me predict what gender my OB is?

He/she has yellow egg spots on the anal fin and orange on the tale and dorsal fins.IMG-4114.JPG IMG-4116.jpg IMG-4126.JPG

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Egg spots aren't a good indicator. The rounded dorsal and anal fin make me think it's female, but these could change over time. You could try venting it, there's plenty of how-to's floating around. This would give you the best answer.

Mvrenko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Egg spots aren't a good indicator. The rounded dorsal and anal fin make me think it's female, but these could change over time. You could try venting it, there's plenty of how-to's floating around. This would give you the best answer.
Thank you for the help!

Reactions: tlindsey

Thomas18

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2017
Australia
I agree with James that it is most likely a Female, my peacock females all have the same rounded anal fins. But time will tell.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I bought 3 male peacocks, I thought, until they spawned. If it is a male it will probably shimmy, and shake, around similar looking females.

My female peacocks will chase other females like a male, but it does not shimmy shake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store