Geographic Variant Morphology in S. rhombeus

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I thought that it might be a good idea to post up some descriptions and ways of telling apart the different color morphs of S. rhombeus. I for one think a rhom is a rhom is a rhom, but I'd like to know how to tell them apart. So I'm gonna post up some "types" of rhoms and some pics, and I'm hoping you guys will chime in with some good info on the various types of rhoms.

We're looking for how much they cost, how rare they are, where they come from, and how to tell them apart from one another. I'll do the first one and maybe somebody else can post up the second one.

Here we go:

My personal favorite color of rhom is the jet black high back. They don't seem quite as popular as the diamond rhoms, but I think they look downright nasty, and to me thats a good thing.

Jet Black High Back:

Price: I found this listing on AS. It's a 12" and it's listed at $500 bucks.

Country of origin: Peru

How to identify: The jet black high back is extremely dark in color. These rhoms are truly deserving of the common name "black piranha." Also they appear to be more laterally compressed than some other rhom variants, with an extremely "tall" back, which gives the fish an almost disc like over all shape. All rhoms have red eyes.

Rarity (common, uncommon, rare, very rare,): rare

I hope somebody will write a profile like this for the other variants. Blue diamond anyone?

-C

Reactions: HaitiCult

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
Personally I like Diamond variants, Blue Diamond Rhombeus is my all time favorite. a large size black diamond would be sweet too. what I want to see is someone post a pic of a nice large size gold diamond.

Diamond Rhombeus has the body shape as a diamond and has sparkle scales all over the body, hence the name diamond rhombeus.
Blue diamond's scale will reflect a blueish tint, Gold diamond will reflect a gold colorish tint and Black diamond reflect a silverish tint.

First pic is a Blue Diamond Rhombeus, at 8" Aquascape charge $300. at 11-12" size, Pedro would charge $600. see here

Second pic is a Black Diamond Rhombeus, at 4-5" Aquascape charge $100, see here. Shark Aquarium has one at 8", going for $300 as well.

Third pic is a Gold Diamond Rhombeus, at 7-8" Aquascape charge $150, see here.

Both BDR seem to be more expensive than Gold Diamond for some reason.

The attached pics were found either on MFK or P-fury, I hope the original owners do not mine I use their pictures here. Gold diamond pic is from AS's website.

Blue Diamond Rhombeus 01.jpg

Serrasalmus Rhombeus - Black Diamond.JPG

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
beautiful fish i sold mine that i brought from george fear, and there actually charcoal gray, i wish they were jet black i would have kept mine. the darkest rhom's come from peru, that is a fact:headbang2

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
i think the gold diamond are more common, that's why. another rhom that's rare is a xingu rhom there sweeet, but to me it's nothing better than a blue diamond besides a true black mask elong which are hard to find i still can't find one with a all black face i would buy immediately :headbang2

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
anytime bro. too bad that I didn't know the country of origin of all the diamonds. Didn't think Pedro want to tell me about it. Do you know by any chance?

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
Gotta love Internet. Here's something I found online which can probably give a better over all view in most geo. variant morphology in. S. rhombeus.

Geographic Variant Morphology in S. rhombeus.jpg

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
jp80911;2998208; said:
anytime bro. too bad that I didn't know the country of origin of all the diamonds. Didn't think Pedro want to tell me about it. Do you know by any chance?
I do actually. OPEFE has a geographic variant index with pictures. We could actually write a profile for every variant....

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/piranha038/rhom_geo.html

:naughty:

OMG! Talk about blue! Look at the fins on this thing:

looks like the blue come from BRAZIL - RIO IRIRI. Just a guess though. Frank refers to them here as "marble diamond rhoms." Is that the same thing as BDR?

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
I've seen that page before. it's good but most of the pics are out of water shots and the quality of pictures are not good. could use some better picture.
Frank really should update the site with some update picturs now. I'm sure better quality pics are not hard to come by now a days with the popularity of DSLR.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
jp80911;2998248; said:
I've seen that page before. it's good but most of the pics are out of water shots and the quality of pictures are not good. could use some better picture.
Frank really should update the site with some update picturs now. I'm sure better quality pics are not hard to come by now a days with the popularity of DSLR.
:iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store