Geographic Variant Morphology in S. rhombeus

rocust

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
England
jp80911;3011157; said:
Thanks for providing the information on where your diamonds were collected. 150GBP is equal if not more than what Pedro charges ($300) in the good old days, unless you count the current exchange rate :)
When did you purchase the blue diamond? how long you had it, what happen to it now if you don't mind me asking. The 4th pic looks like the black diamond I have..like I stated in my original post, all the diamonds (blue, black and gold) all look a like sometimes. :)
Theres only one diamond in those pics , both pics are the same fish. Well at the moment a 13ins Peru black would cost roughly £300 , ( if you know the right importer) , dont forget theres a few thousand miles extra shipping involved and not many at that size make it alive this far from Peru , i dont think there are direct flights to the UK but there are to Germany where they are greedy for them! So at the moment i dont think thats too bad for UK with the exchange rate. 6-7ins piraya are £80 store price. I sold the diamond about 2 years ago, for some reason it didnt grow in the year i had it, and wasnt much of a feeder, they are pretty fish tho not as heavy set and powerful as a black .The first of those Perus blacks grew from 10.5ins to 13ins in 3 years. The second black made it from The Nanay, Peru at 14ins 1 year ago, cost £300. Cheers

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
The first diamond I had was not much a feeder as well compare to the current ones I have. it eats but just not as crazy as the new on I bought was like a eating machine. I almost worried that his belly might explode, he was that full.

Ripdevil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2005
DMV
well my GDR is not eating all that much yet, but seems to be showing interest in tilapia, so hopefully will start to pig out.

I hope to one day own one of each of those varients.

great thread, maybe this will spur a revival in the piranha hobby on this website
I know I am excited

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
nice looking fellow, hope it'll settle in soon and get some color going on.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
rocust;3013297; said:
Theres only one diamond in those pics , both pics are the same fish. Well at the moment a 13ins Peru black would cost roughly £300 , ( if you know the right importer) , dont forget theres a few thousand miles extra shipping involved and not many at that size make it alive this far from Peru , i dont think there are direct flights to the UK but there are to Germany where they are greedy for them! So at the moment i dont think thats too bad for UK with the exchange rate. 6-7ins piraya are £80 store price. I sold the diamond about 2 years ago, for some reason it didnt grow in the year i had it, and wasnt much of a feeder, they are pretty fish tho not as heavy set and powerful as a black .The first of those Perus blacks grew from 10.5ins to 13ins in 3 years. The second black made it from The Nanay, Peru at 14ins 1 year ago, cost £300. Cheers
so whats the final verdict on geography and diamonds? Do all diamonds occur in all geographic areas? or are they localized to specific rivers and or nations?

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
according to Pedro that ture blue diamond only come from one location and that location he kept it secure :) I think I asked like once or twice and no luck. as for as business goes, I think they classify it as proprietary information. LOL

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
jp80911;3014893; said:
according to Pedro that ture blue diamond only come from one location and that location he kept it secure :) I think I asked like once or twice and no luck. as for as business goes, I think they classify it as proprietary information. LOL
Well that sucks. Dollar 1 Science 0

Reactions: bignootch
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store