duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
My pair first spawned at only 3".
1619601064692.png
The braziliensus group are a totally different animal than the Amazonian Geophagines, and really don't belong in the same tank with them.
They come from 3000 miles south of the Amazon (similar distance as Toronto to Miami), where water temps are much cooler, water parameters are totally different (hard and alkaline)and have attitudes more like Central Americans.
Mine spawned at temps around 70"F., and in higher temps became very aggressive, unafraid to tangle with much larger cichlids..
1619601498896.png
At small sizes difficult to tell gender, in the pic above the one in the background may be male. More steep profile, and slightly larger at the same age.
There is even talk of sparating them from the genus Geophagus (giving them a separate braziliensus clade genus) because they are so different.

Coopdaville

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2021
My pair first spawned at only 3".
View attachment 1458820
The braziliensus group are a totally different animal than the Amazonian Geophagines, and really don't belong in the same tank with them.
They come from 3000 miles south of the Amazon (similar distance as Toronto to Miami), where water temps are much cooler, water parameters are totally different (hard and alkaline)and have attitudes more like Central Americans.
Mine spawned at temps around 70"F., and in higher temps became very aggressive, unafraid to tangle with much larger cichlids..
View attachment 1458821
At small sizes difficult to tell gender, in the pic above the one in the background may be male. More steep profile, and slightly larger at the same age.
There is even talk of sparating them from the genus Geophagus (giving them a separate braziliensus clade genus) because they are so different.
I have read that! I’ll turn the heater down a bit as it’s currently rocking about 74. I do have a few things that aren’t particularly going to like that but it should hurt them either.I’m really hoping that the aggression between the 2 of them cuts back at least a little.

I appreciate your info! These things are a bit weird

Reactions: tlindsey

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Here is my pair together and individually. You can clearly see the ovipositor on the female in the first 2 pictures. She is in the 3in ish range and the male is pushing 6in ish. They have spawned twice now with viable fry each time.
PXL_20210322_034154889.MP~2.jpgPXL_20210227_004040741.jpgPXL_20210226_224307183~2.jpg

Coopdaville

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2021
Here is my pair together and individually. You can clearly see the ovipositor on the female in the first 2 pictures. She is in the 3in ish range and the male is pushing 6in ish. They have spawned twice now with viable fry each time.
View attachment 1458827View attachment 1458828View attachment 1458829
So I need to wait a bit and see. The more aggressive one is about 3.5” and the other is 2.5-3”.
In the mean time is there anything I can do to help solve the aggression. I turned the heater down to right at 70F and at least the smaller one is out now.

Coopdaville

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2021
This may seem dumb but as my first experience with Geos it’s not off to a great start. As much as the Africans can be total chaos at least I knew to expect it and how to counter it. I really appreciate everyone’s help here. Just really want to do what’s best for both of these.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In a tank as small as a 75, the tank is pretty much maxed out with just the mated pair, until they reach actual adult size, then a much larger tank will be apropos.
Maybe some appropriate dithers would be tolerated, geographically correct, and sized Buenos Aires tetras would be my choice (no other cichlids).
And If it were me, I'd get the sveni its own tank.
This may be of some interest
youtube.comGeophagus - Guide to Amazonian Eartheaters - nearly all Geophagus species !Of the 31 described Geophagus species, 20 belong in the G.surinamensi-group. Check out the Geophagus guide with 16 of the 20 species and their habitats in th...

Coopdaville

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2021
In a tank as small as a 75, the tank is pretty much maxed out with just the mated pair, until they reach actual adult size, then a much larger tank will be apropos.
Maybe some appropriate dithers would be tolerated, geographically correct, and sized Buenos Aires tetras would be my choice (no other cichlids).
youtube.comGeophagus - Guide to Amazonian Eartheaters - nearly all Geophagus species !Of the 31 described Geophagus species, 20 belong in the G.surinamensi-group. Check out the Geophagus guide with 16 of the 20 species and their habitats in th...
This is all part of the geos that’s been difficult for me. There is about 9 million answers to how big each get and honestly very limited info on these specifically. I’m currently thinking it may be a better option to go ahead and remove them and try something else. They are definitely awesome but with the aggression levels and the constant battery of each other they really weren’t what I was looking for. This may be a better option.

Coopdaville

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2021
Currently they are are the only cichlids in there and that was going to remain the case. I have 1 Synodontis and 2 smaller plecos and a leopard bush fish in there.... no one messes with them except them beating on each other.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Currently they are are the only cichlids in there and that was going to remain the case. I have 1 Synodontis and 2 smaller plecos and a leopard bush fish in there.... no one messes with them except them beating on each other.
All Cichlid including African, CA , and SA are territorial and require space especially if their is 2 except a bonded pair but they also will have issues for example male is ready to spawn and the female isn't. I agree with trying another species but do research or ask questions here and someone with experience with the species will help.

Reactions: Coopdaville

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
This is all part of the geos that’s been difficult for me. There is about 9 million answers to how big each get and honestly very limited info on these specifically. I’m currently thinking it may be a better option to go ahead and remove them and try something else. They are definitely awesome but with the aggression levels and the constant battery of each other they really weren’t what I was looking for. This may be a better option.
G.B. are on the more aggressive spectrum compared with others from the Geo line. All Geo's will show some conspecific aggression. G.B. also get significantly larger than most other Geo's with males potentially reaching 11in. My pair is currently housed in a 120g with a 2ft x 4ft footprint and inhabitants include 2 H. Liberifer, pair of angels, 6 M. Hypsauchen, 3 rafael cats, the 3 BNP and a female G.B. loner. The pair chase the 3rd wheel even when she is on the other end of the tank and do chase off all others. There is an exception with the SD in that they don't seem to present the same threat level to the G.B. pair as the sev's or even the BNPs. There are 3 snails in the tank and even they are unwelcome when they crawl within the fry space bubble.
Changing out your G.B. for a smaller, less ish aggressive species is not a bad idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store