Geophagus stocking questions/tankmates for 110

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
May I please get some stocking opinions? This is my first time keeping Geophagus. I have a 110 gallon tank. 60.5" long, 16.5" wide, and 25.5" tall.
I am considering either Abalios or Red Head Tapajos. I am thinking 6. Does this sound like a good number? I also have access to Winemilleri and Sveni, if those are better options?

As for tank mates:
*Biotodoma cupido - okay? What number? I read they like groups, but how big of a group and would a group be too much with the Geophagus in my tank? Would something like 3 be better? or skip? Need help here.
*1 Chocolate Cichlid - been reading this done. ok?
*1 threadfin acara - read they murder everyone when adults, so figured I could keep one to enjoy, is this ok?
*What about crenicichla? I seen a video of Geophagus and Crenicichla sp Belly Crawler. Common, but I like them. Would you advise this?
*I'm not fond of severum, just not doing it for me. Is there anything I am missing that I could be looking at as a choice?

Thank you so much in advance.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If it were me, I do the Geo's, with some smaller Crenicichla like compressiceps, or "maybe" belly crawlers as far as the "largest pike" for the tank goes, and some dithers, I wouldn't add other large growing cichlids, although I suppose others might work. As they all grow, water quality and territoriality could become an issue with lots of large cichlids in that size tank.
I kept the couple belly crawlers with Guianacara and the difference in shape helped it work out well.

When I got belly crawlers, I picked up 10 juvies from a GCCA MD weekend, and within about a week the largest female had eaten all its brothers and sisters, in a larger tank than you mention.
Luckily, a friend bought a bag at the same GCCA meet, that did the same, so he ended up with a lone male, and I ended up with his loner to try and spawn.

Reactions: tlindsey

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
Thank you. That is useful.

If it were me, I do the Geo's, with some smaller Crenicichla like compressiceps, or "maybe" belly crawlers as far as the "largest pike" for the tank goes, and some dithers, I wouldn't add other large growing cichlids, although I suppose others might work. As they all grow, water quality and territoriality could become an issue with lots of large cichlids in that size tank.
I kept the couple belly crawlers with Guianacara and the difference in shape helped it work out well.

When I got belly crawlers, I picked up 10 juvies from a GCCA MD weekend, and within about a week the largest female had eaten all its brothers and sisters, in a larger tank than you mention.
Luckily, a friend bought a bag at the same GCCA meet, that did the same, so he ended up with a lone male, and I ended up with his loner to try and spawn.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
B. cupido work with a number of peaceful geo species. Essentially a geo cousin with similar behavior, so geos and cupido in a tank essentially gives you different versions of the same thing-- which is why people often add angels, severums, Mesonauta, etc.

Don't think I'd attempt a threadfin, another geo cousin, with peaceful geos in that size tank. Some smaller to medium Cichlasoma species are another possibility, also some Aquiedens species.

Reactions: tlindsey

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
So.. I've watched a lot of Severum videos and read on them. See they are found in the wild with Geos along with some tetras, angelfish, headstanders, and pencilfish. I changed my mind on them. They are growing on me. They look great in the tanks with angels or tetras and the geos with no problems being associated with these combos. So, now I have further questions. I do still like the Chocolate Cichlid and it has been kept successfully with Geos as well, everyone saying they are pretty much docile wimps. Would I be better going with a Chocolate or a Severum? If Severum, how many? Just one? And I am leaning toward either green or gold. Does anyone have a favorite? Then, I am considering either gold angels or lemon tetras. I am a true oddball fan, so if anyone else has a more rare, interesting smaller fish for upper activity level, let me know please. Thanks!

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
The chocolate I kept(sample size of one) was meaner than hell. Try the sev if you need a bigger cichlid. Personally I'd do red head tap geos, the cupidos, a tightly schooling tetra like bloodfins or rummy nose & a big school of cories. I think that would be a fun tank to watch with lots of action

Reactions: twentyleagues

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The issue (IMO) is not so much what will work to together as general tank mates, but what will work in the size tank you have as adults, while still maintaining the high water quality the Geo's need to stay healthy (no HITH/HLLE ). The more large fish kept with them, the faster water quality degrades, unless of course you are willing to do large every other day water changes.
I've kept large adult Geophagines in larger tanks, and felt 30-40% water changes, every other day were warranted to maintain the proper water quality, with very low nitrates they require.

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
I think I'm going to splurge and get some Sveni. I'll do 1 Severum. I don't want to put anything extra on the bottom to take away from the Geos room, so I want to exclude any cories. I like the idea of them doing their thing on the bottom, having the one bigger centerpiece fish to look at (Severum), and then a group of smaller busy fish. Just not 100% set on what that is. I'm not a huge Angelfish fan, but when I look at others' tanks with them and the Geos, all the flowing looks so peaceful. A schooling fish will keep it busier on the upper level.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Cories would be a no-no with the sveni as well. Anything small will be eaten, and cories tend to get stuck in predatos' throats.

I would also caution not to overdo it with the stock. Sveni, severum, group of Tapajos, angelfish as well, sounds like too much for a 110 to me when all fish are fully sized. Personally I would let the geophagus group be the centerpiece and go with a bunch of small supporting cast like the cupido, tetras, cories. Would ditch the sveni to allow you to keep the small guys. IMO, the tank would look better with the varying size fishes, for the type of setup you are trying to do.
On the aesthetic of it, that's just my opinion. As far as the bioload issue goes, I do think you will end up needing multiple WC's per week with the full stock your mentioning unless you scale it back a little bit.

Reactions: mattybecks

trustemedia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
Oh no! I'm not considering all those Geos at all. Just one group of 6. The Tapajos get about 6.5" and the Sveni also say they get about 6.5", so that's the same size, unless the internet is telling me wrong. I liked the look of the Sveni better than the Tapajos, so decided to go with them instead of the Tapajos. Not both. Sorry, for that confusion. The tank would only stock 6 Geophagus Sveni, 1 Severum, and a small group of upper level swimmers like tetras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store