Geophagus stocking questions/tankmates for 110

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I reccomend a red spot severum they are a coloration of the gold with red coloration.
If you’re an oddball fan, how about some hatchetfish for the top level? Stay really small and will stay up top.

Not oddball enough? Maybe try the African butterfly fish. More oddball than the hatchetfish and still hangs out up top.

Make sure the lid is secure though!

Reactions: AnthonyFish20

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
I like the Hatchetfish idea.

Stocking Ideas:

6 Geos
Festivus - how many?
Could I do Marble Hachetfish?

Or
6 Geos
1 Green Severum
Group of Lemon Tetras

Comments on either of these or other suggestions?

What I decided against:
*Cupidos - taking up bottom space
*Chocolate - Changed my mind
*Pike - Unless you think a dwarf is a better option than a Severum
*Angelfish - Too big as adults, at 8"x6" and having at least 5 of them, so I read, won't fit well in tank. Dwarf Angelfish are expensive.

Reactions: Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I like the Hatchetfish idea.

Stocking Ideas:

6 Geos
Festivus - how many?
Could I do Marble Hachetfish?

Or
6 Geos
1 Green Severum
Group of Lemon Tetras

Comments on either of these or other suggestions?

What I decided against:
*Cupidos - taking up bottom space
*Chocolate - Changed my mind
*Pike - Unless you think a dwarf is a better option than a Severum
*Angelfish - Too big as adults, at 8"x6" and having at least 5 of them, so I read, won't fit well in tank. Dwarf Angelfish are expensive.
Marbles would work. I considered them for my geo tank. I wanted a top swimmer for my setup as well but I have a pink tail chalceus for now.

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
I am worried about them jumping out now.
I think the Severum is too big for my tank. I've seen them in smaller, but probably not ideal.

I like the idea of Biotodoma or Guianacara, but worry they may take up too much floor space when all are adults? What do you think? If so, maybe festivus or mesonauta insignis - or will they get too big? Dwarf pike then, small like Compressiceps?

For top swimmers, I am thinking Kitty Tetra, Hyphessobrycon heliacus. Love the yellow, orange color.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I kept a group of neon tetras with my Geos for a couple weeks before I moved them to their own tank. The colours of the schooling neon tetras looked really nice with the geos (I have Tapajos).

If I was in the same situation, I would have your group of geos as the centre piece, with a larger group of small fish. The tetras suggested above and hatchet fish etc.

Im not sure what you are planning for the layout of your tank, but if you attached some drift wood to the top of the aquarium, coming down into it (instead of on the substrate), you then you leave more area for the geos to "graze", but I found also encouraged the smaller fish to swim near the top and middle of the aquarium, effectively using the space and "filling" all levels of the tank up. It also looks a bit more natural roots/wood growing or hanging down into the water rather than raising out the sand bed.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I kept a group of neon tetras with my Geos for a couple weeks before I moved them to their own tank. The colours of the schooling neon tetras looked really nice with the geos (I have Tapajos).

If I was in the same situation, I would have your group of geos as the centre piece, with a larger group of small fish. The tetras suggested above and hatchet fish etc.

Im not sure what you are planning for the layout of your tank, but if you attached some drift wood to the top of the aquarium, coming down into it (instead of on the substrate), you then you leave more area for the geos to "graze", but I found also encouraged the smaller fish to swim near the top and middle of the aquarium, effectively using the space and "filling" all levels of the tank up. It also looks a bit more natural roots/wood growing or hanging down into the water rather than raising out the sand bed.
+1 to this. Sometimes with smaller pieces of driftwood you can rig them up with suction cups or magnet mounts to stick to the sides and back as well.

Reactions: mattybecks

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
Thank you. I do have a large piece of driftwood in the tank coming down as roots. Over the weekend, we made a five hour roundtrip on the UTV into the mountains to the massive Manzanita "forest" we discovered. I brought back 2 large pieces to try for the tank. It looks amazing in person. I'm very happy with it.

I had read they like to sand sift all day, but also don't like wide open spaces, so I figured some Manzanita "root work" would work well, providing the feeling of cover, but not taking away much floor. I like rocks for decor and hiding spaces. Do you think I have too many or is it fine? I have 2 on one end. A few in the middle and a few on the other end hiding a flat triangular stone in the corner (future breeding privacy). Then just a stone place here or there. They like picking at them. I have six Sveni juvies.

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Thank you. I do have a large piece of driftwood in the tank coming down as roots. Over the weekend, we made a five hour roundtrip on the UTV into the mountains to the massive Manzanita "forest" we discovered. I brought back 2 large pieces to try for the tank. It looks amazing in person. I'm very happy with it.

I had read they like to sand sift all day, but also don't like wide open spaces, so I figured some Manzanita "root work" would work well, providing the feeling of cover, but not taking away much floor. I like rocks for decor and hiding spaces. Do you think I have too many or is it fine? I have 2 on one end. A few in the middle and a few on the other end hiding a flat triangular stone in the corner (future breeding privacy). Then just a stone place here or there. They like picking at them. I have six Sveni juvies.

View attachment 1381257
Nice …. I don't think you have too many at all... Nice to have line of sight breaks too.
overall good set up. Very pleasing to look at :)

Reactions: trustemedia

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va

View attachment 1381257
That looks perfect. Thats what i want for my tanks but im too cheap to buy manzanita ha!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store