Geophagus Surinamensis Care

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
So I’m considering getting some new fish and my Lfs had some juvenile Geophagus Surninamensis for sale. I have a 75 gallon with a 12 in lapradei Bichir and My number one priority is to make my Bichir happy. In the past I had to rehome oscars and flowerhorns since they attacked my Bichir. Will the Geophagus species be aggressive towards other fish? Do they require substrate? Also how many should I keep together? Can 2 be kept together long term? Also they are selling 2 for 35 or 1 for 19.99, so is the price reasonable (they are around 2 inches)? Thanks!B4EC79FA-08BC-40FA-BBA9-A3689A9A5A9D.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I’m considering getting some new fish and my Lfs had some juvenile Geophagus Surninamensis for sale. I have a 75 gallon with a 12 in lapradei Bichir and My number one priority is to make my Bichir happy. In the past I had to rehome oscars and flowerhorns since they attacked my Bichir. Will the Geophagus species be aggressive towards other fish? Do they require substrate? Also how many should I keep together? Can 2 be kept together long term? Also they are selling 2 for 35 or 1 for 19.99, so is the price reasonable (they are around 2 inches)? Thanks!View attachment 1406100
Most Cichlids can be pushy even Geophagus but the problem you will have is the Geophagus Surninamensis are too small a Lapradei that size will swallow it with no problem. Also some species of Geophagus are prone to HITH disease if Nitrate are not maintained at the lowest level.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Most Cichlids can be pushy even Geophagus but the problem you will have is the Geophagus Surninamensis are too small a Lapradei that size will swallow it with no problem. Also some species of Geophagus are prone to HITH disease if Nitrate are not maintained at the lowest level.
Thanks for the response! I was hoping I could grow them out in a 30 gallon and add them in the main tank when they get a little larger. I heard they are slow grower, do you think in a few months they can get from 2 inches to 4 inches or will it take a few years? The lfs also has a 6-7 in Geophagus Surinamensis but its $70 and I really don't want to spend that much for 1 fish. They also had this datnoid, do you think it'll grow fast enough that in a few months I can move it with the bichir? So far my tank is kind of life less since the bichir doesn't moe a whole lot and I really want some color/movement that will make the tank more appealing to look at!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the response! I was hoping I could grow them out in a 30 gallon and add them in the main tank when they get a little larger. I heard they are slow grower, do you think in a few months they can get from 2 inches to 4 inches or will it take a few years? The lfs also has a 6-7 in Geophagus Surinamensis but its $70 and I really don't want to spend that much for 1 fish. They also had this datnoid, do you think it'll grow fast enough that in a few months I can move it with the bichir? So far my tank is kind of life less since the bichir doesn't moe a whole lot and I really want some color/movement that will make the tank more appealing to look at!
I personally have a Datnoid with my Bichirs.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I personally have a Datnoid with my Bichirs.
Also I don’t need brackish water with a datnoids long term right? Cause I recall seeing some forums saying that they may need brackish system when they become adults?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
True surinamensis are not widely available in the hobby. A few decades ago, all surinamensoid-type Geophagus were lumped under that name for sale. Today importers and wholesalers are still using it for as many as five different species. The smaller ones in your photos look like G. abalios. The other common species marked as surinamensis is altifrons. Both abalios and altifrons are common exports out of Colombia and sometimes you find them mixed at the pet store.

Regardless of abalios or altifrons, these are a large growing Geophagus that can reach 10 - 12” and can be pushy. They are often best kept in small groups as juveniles, or as singles. If you only get two, one will likely establish itself as the dominant fish and constantly bully the other.

Geos are eartheaters, sifting through substrate to find food. For this reason they do best with sand. Gravel may be sharp and hurt their gills.

All geos appreciate clean water and can be prone to HITH if the nitrates and dissolved organics get too high. The young ones in the picture you posted do not look to be in good condition. They are very thin.

Personally I would not put this species in a 75. If you are interested in geos go for something smaller like G. sp. Tapajos redheads/orangeheads. They are smaller, more colorful, and a small group of 4 or 5 could probably live in a 75 for life with adequate husbandry.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
True surinamensis are not widely available in the hobby. A few decades ago, all surinamensoid-type Geophagus were lumped under that name for sale. Today importers and wholesalers are still using it for as many as five different species. The smaller ones in your photos look like G. abalios. The other common species marked as surinamensis is altifrons. Both abalios and altifrons are common exports out of Colombia and sometimes you find them mixed at the pet store.

Regardless of abalios or altifrons, these are a large growing Geophagus that can reach 10 - 12” and can be pushy. They are often best kept in small groups as juveniles, or as singles. If you only get two, one will likely establish itself as the dominant fish and constantly bully the other.

Geos are eartheaters, sifting through substrate to find food. For this reason they do best with sand. Gravel may be sharp and hurt their gills.

All geos appreciate clean water and can be prone to HITH if the nitrates and dissolved organics get too high. The young ones in the picture you posted do not look to be in good condition. They are very thin.

Personally I would not put this species in a 75. If you are interested in geos go for something smaller like G. sp. Tapajos redheads/orangeheads. They are smaller, more colorful, and a small group of 4 or 5 could probably live in a 75 for life with adequate husbandry.
Alright that makes a lot of sense! I will reconsider and hopefully my lfs will have some tapajos since I was looking into those as well! Thanks again!

Reactions: tlindsey

Jurassak

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
May 14, 2019
United States
www.facebook.com

Thanks for the breakdown of the misnamed geos!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store