Getting a big clown knife off feeders?

Blue Butcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
ontario, Canada
I dont see the purpose of taking predatory fish of feeders. My GCK is 24 inches, eats feeder fish once a week and what ever algae pellets he manages to steal from the other fish. I believe it will keep his hunting insticts in tack. I spend 3 dollars a week on goldfish. He eats 12 in a day. Been doing that for two years now and he is very healthy. He will stop the other fish from feeding on the pellets if he is hungry enough.

BIGtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Michigan
i agree with the blue butcher, i buy 2 dollars in goldfish a week and my knife has been fine for months, he is only about 7 or 8 inches long at the moment but he eats like he's about 12 inches long, lol, but i have on occasion thrown some plain sinking shrimp pellets in there and he's snatched them up

black_monster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
NoVA
when i first had my clown knife, he/she never ate pellets or shrimp either.
so i starved it for a couple weeks and it switched to eating f/t shrimp. now it eats sinking hikari pellets that my cichlids eat.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
my 2 footer started picking some shrimps after 3 months........during this period she only ate 2 feeders.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
the problem with feeding feeders is the introduction of disease and the lack of nutritional value in the feeder fish. feeder fish are not breed in the best enviroment to begin with. that many fish in a small tank is not good. then you throw in the fact that they only get fed enough to keep them alive, not fatten them up with meat (what your fish really needs). its cheaper, safer for your fish, and alot more of a balanced diet to feed prepared foods. go to the local market, buy a pound of catfish nuggets, or similar cut fish meat, and a pound of raw shrimp. see how long it takes your fish to eat $8 worth and how much faster it grows.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
try frozen silversides... mine loves them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store