Getting a mbu in the near future.

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
I am looking in to getting a mbu puffer in the near future. I am just starting to do some research and want to know as much as possible before i make the purchase. I already know they need a huge tank! Also, I am not looking for links to other resources. I have read a ton of them and I am just looking for tips from MFKers who keep them or have kept them in the past. For example I got a stingray a few months back and i did a whole lot of research on google and whatnot beforehand. He died because I didn't know that rays produce so much ammonia so I need the extra filtration! So just little tips like that would be awesome!

Thanks

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
Well...you already know about the filtration needs, tank size, etc. Their personalities vary...for instance, many will likely tell you that they should have a tank to themselves, while others (like myself) have had luck not only keeping them with community fish, but also keeping them with aggressive fish.

If you have the tank size, filtration, and diet info down pat, the rest is just experiencing and learning your fish. I keep mine in a low-light planted tank (several different species of anubias) with angels and neon tetras, and a couple of plecos (and I'm thinking of getting a few balloon rams to throw in there). I would've never even thought to own angels as I think they are the most common fish ever. But after I got a couple for free, and my super aggressive fahaka tolerated them, I decided to get a couple more and have since moved the fahaka to another tank for now and put the mbu in his tank.

Though alot of people on MFK blast folks about tank size, I'm not too keen on putting a "future" monster in a tank so big I can't even see and enjoy my fish. Therefore, I am the king of grow out. For instance, my 2in fahaka started out in a 20g, then a 55g, and when he gets larger, he'll go to a larger tank. I am doing the same with my MBU. Why would I buy a 1000g tank for a 2-5in fish. When it is time, he will be moved. (I digress:nilly:)

I personally chickened out when it came to putting him in with my high-shine silver (though others have kept them successfully with aros). Also, I have yet to try him with any rays but I'm guessing he may do ok since he does not bother the plecos.

Many have expressed success for long periods of time with mbus and tankmates and then -SNAP-, their mbu attacks and/or kills their tankmate. I'm hoping for the best but for now, my 8incher is super mellow. Hopefully yours will be too...that is if you want to keep it with tankmates.

Good luck!

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Thank you both for the input. I agree with the point that yes they do need a big tank, but it is okay to move them and upgrade as they grow. I would love to start him out in our 150gal but we have a silver aro and a couple catfish so I don't think that would be a good combo. So I think I will need to get another of the same size or bigger designated just for the MBU and maybe a couple plecos or something. Pufferpunk: I have read those articles already but both of them are great!, thank you

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
From what I read here, mbus are generally pretty nice to their tank mates but then again--they are a puffer & you just never know with them...
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234231

Another thing I see happening again & again with these monsters, is folks buy them intending to upgrade & then life happens & they can't afford to upgrade properly. Then they're stuck with a large fish (which is difficult to rehome) in a tank too small. So please do your research on the total cost of your eventual upgrade.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
My Mbu loves his new home in his 240. I was doing a low light semi planted set up with a lot of driftwood in the back and open swimming space in the front. He lives with about 30 other community fish, 2 of which are rapheal cats, and does good with all of them. A couple of weeks ago I added more lights for 6 hours a day and he became much more active and started eating much better. I also found the one fish he did not like was the plecos. I tried 4 diffrent ones but each pleco became aggressive towards the mbu at feeding time and they would fight over food no matter how much was in the tank they always seemed to want the same piece. They are great fish with amazing personalities but it seems you have to go through some trial and error with each on eto match it's given personality.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Just curious how big your MBU is atm? and are you planning on upgrading your tank again any time soon?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I tried 4 diffrent ones but each pleco became aggressive towards the mbu
My Goldspot bullies the fahaka, even kicks him out of his cage but the Sailfin lets him eat. The Sailfin has a couple of fahaka-shaped nips in his fins but the Goldspot doesn't. I think he's the meanest fish I've got right now.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
My Mbu is currently 6" and is constantly going on hunger protests, so he will eat really well for a week or so then one morning he will be buried in the sand hanging out and not move for like two days. So the 240 should be good for him for awhile. I have everything I need to build a 900 gallon 7x7x2.5' indoor pond as a worst case scenario. Like he outgrows the tank and I cannot afford a proper larger display tank, he will be moved in to the spare bedroom where I will take out the bed and put up the pond.

The extra lighting has helped his activity level but he is still a very lazy fish, but that seems to just be mine. After I bought him approx a year ago at 3-4" I found out he had been at that pet store for a year in a 20 gallon tank. Which I think mght be partially to blame for why he acts the way he does some times.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
What foods are you offering him? What are your parameters? Water change schedule? Tank mates?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store