Getting rid of stock! Price questions - restocking ideas

JohnnyTBags

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hi all,

I’m currently in negotiations with my LFS for purchasing/trading by current stock (2 tanks) for a complete redo. I know, sounds crazy but I need the change. I’m trying to gauge value and wanted some thoughts on US prices they could sell these fish for so I can pinpoint a good middle ground.

7 inch Oscar
8 inch Midas
4 inch blood Parrot
6 inch green Texas
5 inch red hooks X 2
11 inch pile cichlid
5 inch JD
7 inch frontosa
20 inch RTC
12 inch red Texas

(I could keep a couple in my 75g, suggestions welcome)

Also I’ll be restocking my 125g and looking for some suggestions. I like unique and rare fish and can handle a slight overstock with my filtration and water change habits. Thinking viejas, chocolates, an arawana maybe, sting ray possibility? Or some other species I’m not familiar with. I like larger stocky fish with good color and or super unique. Look forward to hearing back from everyone!

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
What about a eel? Maybe a tire track eel, but they might grow too big.

JohnnyTBags

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2018
Had a fire eel years ago. Thick boy and was pretty happy in a 150g community tank. Not a bad idea. Thanks! Any thoughts on pricing out those fish? Appreciate the conversation. Any more suggestions would be great

JohnnyTBags

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hope to get more feed back on the attached questions. Sorry for the hard press, just making moves in the next day or 2.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
The problem with asking for prices is that it will vary wildly depending on where you live and the demand in your local market.
Where I live for example, you wouldn’t be able to give half those guys away for free. Not because they aren’t great fish, but there are not enough people in the hobby let alone ones that have tanks to house large fish like that.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I also doubt that your fish are worth anything, and you might have trouble giving them away outside of an LFS. Maybe the front and parrot are worth something.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You may basically have to give many of those larger fish away, because most experienced aquarists don't have room for them, and if they go to a LFS, they may sit, and need to be fed for months before someone has room for them, becoming a losing proposition for the store.

If you have a local aquarium club, you could take them to one of the bi-annual auctions, or regular swap meets.
If someone is looking for a certain type they may be bid it up, and you may get e reasonable price at a swap, but I often see large cichlids, and other fish go for a $1 or $2 each.

If you want Vieja, I believe a 125 is only large enough for a pair, and agree that tank is also "too smal"l for an arowana, or stingray.

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store