Glass Thickness Guide

JoelB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Would you happen to know the 'tensile strength for sustained loading' (in MPa) for eastern glass vs Australian glass? I could really use that ATM.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
JoelB;2052075; said:
Would you happen to know the 'tensile strength for sustained loading' (in MPa) for eastern glass vs Australian glass? I could really use that ATM.
there practically the same and what little difference there is you still use the same thickness. the idfference is mainly the amount of air bubbles in the glass.(theese are tiny and cannot be seen from the front)

BIGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Perth WA
Sorry I meant the glass is 12x3 the actual tank dimensions I'll use metric since your in aus anyway are 4m long and 2m wide. I've just bought it. "it" being a plywood fiberglass tank that I'm going to modify to be deeper and have a viewing window put in place.

onetrickpony

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
DALLAS
If I could get glass thickness on a few tank sizes
I want to build a plywood tank; the tank will be doubled up ¾ plywood for a wall thickness of 1.5” with epoxy and fiberglass liner, the top will all be well braced with threaded rod spaced every 12” front to back
The glass choices I have ½ tempered or ¾ annealed,, regular clear or low iron

I am locked into the thank length and want to be tall a possible, width is the first choice variable with the height being least choice variable

“Inside tank size”
tank “B” 45” length X 15” width X 43” water depth with window size of 42” X 42”= glass thickness ?
tank “A” 45” length X 21” width X 43” water depth with window size of 42” X 42”= glass thickness ?
tank “C” 45” length X 27” width X 43” water depth with window size of 42” X 42”= glass thickness ?
Thanks
Ken

jonoz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Brisbane
Wow, this is funny and so is that guy.

There is another tank builder in Brisbane that has built a tank which is, Im pretty sure it was, 22' L x 4' W x 4' and that was out of 12mm glass and its been fine for years. But I must admit, they actually work with an engineer for all their tanks so thats who is making my 10x3x2 :D

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
jonoz;2235824; said:
Wow, this is funny and so is that guy.

There is another tank builder in Brisbane that has built a tank which is, Im pretty sure it was, 22' L x 4' W x 4' and that was out of 12mm glass and its been fine for years. But I must admit, they actually work with an engineer for all their tanks so thats who is making my 10x3x2 :D

22x4x4 no engineer would recoomen 12mm for in factmost would tell you u chould use acrylic. whoose making your 10x3x2

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
The measurements seemed to agree with these websites http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/tec...sized_aquaria/ or http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aqu...customtank.htm

Having read the whole thread, i am surprised only that width to length ratio has impact on the glass thickness (unless i misunderstood something?). I would have thought that maximum length and height of water are the only controlling factors.

Notwithstanding the above ... Yey! you have the dimesion i was considering 8x3x2.

Please confirm that the height of the tank is the height of the water. That is, it is OK to have a 8x3x2.5 with 12mm glass as long as water is added to 2' mark only

Thanks for the thread

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store