Glass Thickness Guide

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
yes it is ok if its only to 2'. length on all glass tanks does have an impact. but only on really long tanks would u consider going thicker then normally used(12'+)

MyFishEatYourFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
monsterville
the glass is 6mm tempered that i already have and the tank has been designed around it, will this work?
water volume will measure 117.5"longx26"widex24"deep, 317 gallons.
the front windows will be 20"x48" with a 1" rim supported by a frame and the sides will be 12"x20" with the same 1" rim.
i think the glass should be strong enough because the tank is not much taller or deeper than the 55 the glass is coming from, but you're the expert, what do you think?

260 gallon reef.jpg

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
very kool of you to post this.I am looking to build a monster tank and not too sure on the thickness-now i am.what size tank would a 72x24x24 be in gallons?do you know?thanks for the help in advance.

myfish eat your fish-
looks like a good idea but what are you using to hold the water?i understand the glass windows but is that wood?i just cant see how it would hold water in it?looking for ideas so fill me in man

are you going to line the inside with something?

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
thanks mate. Well, pros ??? what say ??? I think 8x2x2 is possible with proper supports but is 10x2x2 pushing it too far ? I can make only one tank right now that I need as an upgrade for cats and other monsters in grow outs. so want to go as big as possible. have space for a 10 footer. But wanna stick with 12mm glass. what say ?

Help me !!! I'm really confused. Haven't made this big a tank ever.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
umm for the 6mm tempered guy. i wouldnt risk it. use 10mm to be safe. it wouldnt cost much.
as for the 10x2x2 guy yes 12 or 10mm is fine.

kcress

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm building a plywood glass tank. The frame is welded angle iron.
This will frame the glass front with about 7/8" holding the glass all around.

Starphire low iron.

Tank size 70"x24"x36"T How thick should the glass be? Would 1/2" tempered be reasonable?

Thanks.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
kcress;2352955; said:
I'm building a plywood glass tank. The frame is welded angle iron.
This will frame the glass front with about 7/8" holding the glass all around.

Starphire low iron.

Tank size 70"x24"x36"T How thick should the glass be? Would 1/2" tempered be reasonable?

Thanks.
yes that will be fine.

as fro a 10x2x2. use 3 12" wide braces or 4 8" wide ones the later being the better, but can be a pain for aquscaping.

bbrtmad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Last Outpost
i get the thickness of the glass used. but what type of glass? Most safety glass in the US is either tempered or has wire in it i dont wish to use either as tempered shatters if hit by a sharp object. So what type of plate glass is the clearest at 3/4 to 1 inch think or is recomended by someone that has built there own tanks?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store