Glass Thickness Guide

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
I know this is an old thread, but looks like some actions a few months back, so here goes my question....

I'm in the middle of building a plywood tank, outside dimensions are 72" L x 48" W x 24" H. was going to use 3/4 plywood. Stand is already built with those dimensions.

I have a 3/8 piece of tempered glass that I got for free off of CL. I was planning to use it as my viewing panel, but am nervous without getting confirmation from more experienced tank builders. Any thoughts on If I should upgrade the glass or if it should be fine? According to the calculator, the height is good, but my cause for concern is because the tank is so deep. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I know this is an old thread, but looks like some actions a few months back, so here goes my question....

I'm in the middle of building a plywood tank, outside dimensions are 72" L x 48" W x 24" H. was going to use 3/4 plywood. Stand is already built with those dimensions.

I have a 3/8 piece of tempered glass that I got for free off of CL. I was planning to use it as my viewing panel, but am nervous without getting confirmation from more experienced tank builders. Any thoughts on If I should upgrade the glass or if it should be fine? According to the calculator, the height is good, but my cause for concern is because the tank is so deep. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
What size is the glass. Is my first question but I will say you will be fine as it is only 24 inch tall and you will habe a frame around it

sdgier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2014
IL
What size is the glass. Is my first question but I will say you will be fine as it is only 24 inch tall and you will habe a frame around it
Forgot to add.... The glass is 58 1/2" by 20 1/2" and 3/8" thick. Yes will have a frame around it and will also be braced on top.

Thanks for the reply!

Lockie

Feeder Fish
Jan 31, 2017
How thick of glass do need for a fish tank 144 high 36 wide and 60 high Please help !!!! My measurements are all in inches

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
How thick of glass do need for a fish tank 144 high 36 wide and 60 high Please help !!!! My measurements are all in inches
Assuming those are inches and assuming you meant 144 long, you will need 47mm of plate glass. That's a bit over 1.75" and will be extremely expensive (not just due to thickness but due to the length), assuming you can find anyone who can actually make the glass and who is willing to ship it.

Aldrin123

Feeder Fish
Apr 27, 2017
Would 6mm glass be enough for a 24x24x24" all glass tank, only one side will be visible, rest would be wood

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
For plants, lizards, snakes, turtles, or any time the tank is two thirds full or less. (I.e., 16".) But not for a full tank.

9mm is the correct size for the expected safety level. You can build it thinner, but there's a much larger risk the glass will fail.

It's a choice. And I don't believe that the cost of 9mm glass for a single side could be that much more expensive than 6mm that it would be worth the risk. Just my opinion.

Aldrin123

Feeder Fish
Apr 27, 2017
All sides are going to be glass, then it's going to have like a wooden frame to act as bracing. I can get 3 pieces for 13 Euro of 6mm glass

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store